1752777 Members
6420 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

why mount switch up on wall?

jriker1
Occasional Advisor

why mount switch up on wall?

i have a procurve 1810g-24 and want to mount it vertically in the wood rafters.m documentation says the switch should be mounted with the ports facing upward.  why is this?  if i do that inatead of having the cables mounting on the bottom will have a tight fit potentially to plug in the cables between thenswitch and the cweiling, and have no easy visual of the porrs or which port the plugs are being put in.  plus my jhooks thencables run thru are running under the bottom of the rafters so network cables would have to go up and over to plugin.  dont want to do it wrong som looking for thoughts.

thanks

jr

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: why mount switch up on wall?

Probably you've read the wrong documentation.

The HP ProCurve 1810G-24 Switch (J9450A) Installation and Getting Started Guide (see here) reports, among others, these very first explicit warnings:

• The rack or cabinet should be adequately secured to prevent it from becoming unstable and/or falling over. Devices installed in a rack or cabinet should be mounted as low as possible, with the heaviest devices at the bottom and progressively lighter devices installed above.
  • When wall mounting, to meet national and international safety requirements, wall mount either with the front facing up or down. The side vents cannot be placed up or downward.

So you should be OK with regard to placing it with its ports facing downward as you need.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
ReFo
Visitor

Hello!

Can anyone explain why the side vents cannot be placed up or downward?
I would have thought that this would be the ideal way to mount fanless switches:
Cool air in at the bottom, warm air out at the top.

16again
Respected Contributor

Seems ideal to me too, and it's exactly how my 1920 is mounted.  Note I kept the PSU side on top, so heat it generates directly leaves the case.

It might collect more dust this way though, obstructing airflow.