Operating System - HP-UX
1751763 Members
5902 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why should I upgrade from HP-UX 11.00 to HP-UX 11.11 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We've upgraded some of our big database servers to 11i. I like the dynamic kernel parameters. Also, to move to some of the newer hardware you'll have to run 11i. We ordered a couple of rp5470 boxes recently and they were supposed to come with 750 Mhz CPUs. We need the boxes to run 11.0 and not 11i, and we found out that the 750Mhz CPUs will only work with 11i, so we had to drop back to slower CPUs. Not a big consideration if you plan to be on the same hardware for a while, but moving forward it will be something to think about.

JP
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Security issues can be addressed by patching no matter what the release is. Keeping your system current with patches is vital whether it's 11.0 or 11i.

One thing you might want to be aware of is that memory usage shows a dramatic increase in 11i. Make sure when you upgrade that you're not tight on RAM to start with.

Pete

Pete
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

One *small* thing I did not see yet: 11i updates are available on DVD, so you can upgrade all your software at once, without the reboot need between the different CD's

Enjoy, have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

From a kernel perspective scalabitiy is the key. 11.11 scales better, epsecially when you go beyond 16 CPUs.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Juan Manuel L├│pez
Valued Contributor

And What about the upgrade process ?
I have seen many people telling there are a lot of problems with it.

Juanma.
I would like to be lie on a beautiful beach spending my life doing nothing, so someboby has to make this job.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Usually I point people to the Software Recovery Handbook. Chapter 7 deals with 11.11 upgrades. Most people have problems with the upgrade simply because they ignored the preparation steps.

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/node.do?node=prod%2FWW_Start%2FN1%7C16
http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/node.do?node=prod%2FWW_Start%2FN1%7C16

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
sysadm_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Girija,

Some points about 11i,

In 11i most of the kernel parameters are dynamic.

In 11i rebooting of server after loading softwares and patches are very less compared to 11.0

11i Supports partitioning.

11i with same hardware configuration performs better than 11.0(As per 11i release notes)

Shaji

Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

One more thing...

I remember something about more and more kernel parameters changes that can be made dynamically and with future releases an increasing list of kernel parms that can be changed dynamically without a reboot.

Also, that 64bit system can run both 32 and 64 bit applications.