Windows Server 2003
1753809 Members
8722 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 Dynamic Disk goes offline after reboot and share drives disappear

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mandar1979
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2003 Dynamic Disk goes offline after reboot and share drives disappear

We have 2 database servers db1 and db2, db2 has 2 dynamic SAN disk(G & H), G drive has folder "data which is shared", and accessible from db1 server. After weekly reboot we noticed that both the dynamic disk were offline, we re-activated the disk and then the disk were online. But we now cannot find the shared folder, we are wondering if the share disappeared or someone deleted the share, can some one explain?
Note:Data in the share drive still exists.
4 REPLIES 4
Rune J. Winje
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Windows 2003 Dynamic Disk goes offline after reboot and share drives disappear

Shares in Windows are stored separate from the file system and are found only in the registry under the \Lanmanserver key:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996

The server service reads these shares during startup so just restarting the server service might solve it. A disk used by a share needs to be online for a share to come online.

For Microsoft Cluster if you use that, then the shares are stored as part of the cluster information in the registry/cluster config, and you should not use the (machine specific) shares above.

Cheers,
Rune
Mandar1979
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. In my case as I said after the reboot the dynamic disk were offline. And my only concern is that no one has removed the sharing, as I had said the data is intact only there was no sharing, and we re-created the share and share permissions. Do you thing anyone deleted the share ? If you can provide any article from which would indicate the share disappears whenever the dynamic disk goes offline after reboot will appreciate.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Shares was not deleted. The problem was that SAN disk G and H were offline during reboot. Restart server when SAN disks online will solve problem. Sometimes even restart of "Server" service in windows help,
without server reboot
Mandar1979
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Any article from Microsoft if your are aware of since I am looking for a permanent fix.