Windows Server 2003
1753774 Members
7019 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: only file owner can edit, delete, or rename the file.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

only file owner can edit, delete, or rename the file.

Dear Gurus

there is a folder named 'Sales_rprts'.
I want that every one can create files under the Sales_rprts, but only the file owner can update/edit, delete, or rename the file.

how ?
Regards
Maaz
4 REPLIES 4
Chandan Kumar_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Mazz,

Right click on 'Sales_rprts' folder, Click on Security tab. Give permission to everyone.

All the best!
Chandan
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Maaz, I think you can assign Full Control to the Creator Owner of 'Sales_rprts' folder and the "Read/Write/Read & Execute/List Folder contents" permissions to the Everyone group. This way users have full access to the files that they create, but the members of the Everyone group can only read and create files in the folder
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

There is option call resultant option under folder properties, under that put the group name everone and then check what is resultant of the same. Might be possible the everyone group id denied from parent. Remember persissions are cumuulative
and deny ovverride every permission

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

just to clarify, the option you want is creator/owner.

creator/owner is a special sid that is replaced by the owner of a given file when permissions are evaluated.

corollary to this is the setowner.exe program from http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/setowner/

so your permissions on the folder would be
everyone:RE creator-owner:Full administrators:Full
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.