Operating System - Microsoft
1748068 Members
5539 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anyone else run into glitches with SmartStart 8.30 and Server 2008 R2?

exrational
Occasional Advisor

Anyone else run into glitches with SmartStart 8.30 and Server 2008 R2?

I like a lot of the UI changes in the new SmartStart (which I downloaded since it's the first one to support 2008 R2). I ran into a couple of issues though, and I'm curious if I'm the only one or not.

First, I couldn't get SmartStart to recognize my 2008 R2 ISO. I figured out that the file filter is case-sensitive, and changing the extension from .ISO to .iso made the file appear in the list, but even once it was selected I couldn't click next. I waited 15 minutes or so in case there was some sort of verification scan, but nothing ever happened. As far as I know, it's the stock DVD ISO from MS volume licensing. Do I need to name it something special? I never ran into trouble with Server 2003 ISOs and previous SmartStart versions.

As a workaround for the above problem, I mounted the ISO on my PC and copied the flat files to the USB key I was using. SmartStart recognized those fine, but it's a little aggravating that they can't be located in a subdirectory on the USB key, as it means I can only put one OS's install files on it. I'm not sure if that's a new "feature" in this release or not, since I've always used ISOs in the past. Also, using this method, *everything* on the key was copied to the server, regardless of if it was in one of the standard Windows install folders or not. As a result, the server ended up with several gigs of mp3s that I had on there, the various ISOs we use to build servers, etc. That wouldn't be so great if space on C: were at a premium.

Second, the new SmartStart UI seemed to only capture the first 15 characters of the local administrator password I entered. I know this is new to 8.30, because the standard one I use is 16 or 17 and I've never had trouble with it in previous versions. If I only had to type it once I might chalk this up to mistyping, but I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't forget the last character or two twice.
32 REPLIES 32
TerryC_1

I have run into the password problem loading Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 using Smartstart 8.30. Tried the install twice thinking I had fat fingered the password (which would be unusual since you have to confirm it and I use a common password for all our builds). 2nd time my co-worker looked over my shoulder just to make sure and verified that I typed the password correctly. When the 2008 installation was complete and I tried to login using the local Administrator account, it would not recognize the password I had used in the Smartstart installation. Seems to have forgotten it. Tried typing the password and leaving out the last character, then the last two characters, then three, etc. Didn't work. Tried logging in with no password, Administrator as the password, etc. Didn't work. Called HP and they said my CD might be corrupted. Make a new one and try again. I'll try that and see if it works and report back if it does.
exrational
Occasional Advisor

Do you mind if I ask how long your password was? I'd be curious to know if trying one that was 14 characters or shorter worked as expected for you.
I did the same thing in terms of trying the first 16 characters, then 15, etc. I almost gave up before getting down to 14, thinking I was just wasting time.
Joseph Combs
Occasional Advisor

I have had a problem installing the 64-bit version of both 2008 and 2008r2. I start with SmartStart 8.30 x64 and then load the OS. All goes well until the install process gets to the last screen where the last message is Completing Installation ..... it stays there overnight.
Joseph Combs
Occasional Advisor

I suspect it may be the raid controller ... I defined the Installtion drive as RAID-5, and it stays in the awaiting optimization mode .... this may be keeping the installation from finishing, especially if the raid controller is waiting for the install to finish to complete optimization,

I have deined the installation drive a raid 0, and I will migrate to raid 5 after installation if it works.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is (in my opinion) a silly 'feature', erm, I mean design error of many (all?) SmartArray controllers: if you create a new array/logical disk, the controller waits for a first write before it starts the RAID initialization. It DOES NOT prevent usage of the logical disk.
Joseph Combs
Occasional Advisor

I agree, but I think that is what is happening ..... I am still waiting for this install to finish. I have a MSA70 attached, and the array on it is raid 5, and it seems to be waing for it to optimize, and it is 2 terabytes. That may take quite a while. I don't know, but it seems to be what is happening. I'll know if it ever finishes. If not, I'll have to do the install again with everything raid-0.
David Jerwood

I am also having problems with the password. I built W2008 R2 Enterprise using the Smartstart 8.30 CD and now Windows wont accept my password once built. This has happened to the first 3 DL380/360's I have built.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Many Thanks
David Jerwood

Just spoke to an HP Tech engineer, his advise was to NOT use SmartStart. As helpful as ever!! Obviously for now, I am skipping the password step within Smartstart. But advised him it would be good to get this listed as a Smartstart bug or something. He just kept confirming not to use SmartStart and build the server manually. Also asked hime to visit this forum but he refused.
Anyone else had any experience with this issue. Anyone from HP on here?
Joseph Combs
Occasional Advisor

SO if you don't use the smartstart install, how do you get it to install with the right drivers?