1753838 Members
9157 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Server 2008 BSOD Memory Parity Error

CCallahan
Occasional Contributor

Server 2008 BSOD Memory Parity Error

Running Server 2008 x86 Standard on a ProLiant ML310 G5 server.  Randomly get a "hardware malfunction...memory parity error" BSOD (see attached image).  The server locks up at random times from this.  Sometimes it will run for weeks and sometimes only 15 minutes.

I have tried troubleshooting this with HP tech support.  The server currently has 4gb of ram installed which I have swapped out with the original 1gb dimm that came with the server and still get the BSOD.  It started happening after one of the drives in the array went bad (which has been replaced).  I have run numerous loop tests via SmartStart for hours on the entire system and numerous on just the memory and all has checked out OK.  Even run Microsoft memory tests and everything always passes.

Furthermore, I have never once not been able to boot into Windows.  It is a Windows only error which is why HP tech support ruled out the mainboard as the issue.  Now it is down to something not working correctly in Windows.  This error has been happening for about a month and 1/2.  I checked the updates that have been done in the last few months and nothing really stands out.  Just security and NET Framework updates.

Anyone have any ideas?  I would really like to not have to re-install the server and set everything back up if it can be avoided.

1 REPLY 1
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Server 2008 BSOD Memory Parity Error

Hello:

Try removing all the RAM and check each socket for corrosion and damage. If none is found, then try to dislodge any debris that may have settled in the sockets. Try turning the case so the motherboard is upside down and bang it gently. Alternatively, canned air can be used.

Make a great day!

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger