1748202 Members
3152 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VGA Driver ATI Rage XL for Server 2008 x64

knoe
Occasional Advisor

VGA Driver ATI Rage XL for Server 2008 x64

I have installed Server 2008 x64 on a DL380 G4 but there is no driver for the ATI Rage XL.

Any hints for me where i can find this driver ?

If I try to install any drivers for other Windows versions, they all are not supported by my OS ??

kind regards
16 REPLIES 16
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hello:

Have you installed the HP Proliant Support Pack 8.5? If not, there's a possibility it will solve your problem:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&swItem=MTX-1195f8aca9dc43cb838c1ff805&prodNameId=3288132&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
knoe
Occasional Advisor

I looked in the release notes of nearly all PSP versions. There is only a ATI ES1000 driver available that is not working on the DL380-G4.

So i'm still looking for a solution.

kind regards
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Can you explain why you need it? I assume the server is not down, is that correct? If yes, then are you simply trying to correct a 'flag' in Device Manager?

Did you use SmartStart for the install?

Does it have to do with a "no full screen" issue when using Remote Console? If so:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=397634&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&objectID=c01090201

That article also suggests searching HP support website with the following search argument: +ProLiant +Advisory +"ATI RAGE"

Doing so reveals a PSP 8.6 article indicating the ATI Rage XL driver for Server 2003 is no longer supported which implies that it was supported in PSP 8.5 (I realize you're running Server 2008).

I guess unless you can reveal the symptom you're trying to fix, I've helped all I can.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
knoe
Occasional Advisor

The Server is up and running. It's not a must to have the driver. We have 1280.1024 resolution on all servers, so it would be fine to have this resolution on the dl380 too. At the moment the highest possible resolution is 1024x768.

Thats the only reason.

I'll use an extra VGA-card if i can't fix this.

Anyway thanks for you hints and help

kind regards
kurt
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

It appears that after ATI was acquired by AMD, that AMD stopped supporting older ATI products at some point. I have send their technical support an e-mail asking if the drivers for legacy ATI products are available from them. I'll let you know if I get an answer. Also, I don't see any indication on the AMD website that they host server OS drivers. Also, the only match I can find on the Microsoft Update Catalog website for either ATI or AMD and server is for Radeon 7000 products. It seems pretty clear that AMD video products should not be considered for servers.
If I learn any more, I'll post it here.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
knoe
Occasional Advisor

I found this driver:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/VGA/ATI/RageXL/x64.zip

But when trying to instal a message says:

"This can only be installed by administrator" even when i am logged on as administrator ??

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

If you right-click on the unzipped executable file, is "Run as administrator" one of the options?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
knoe
Occasional Advisor

I tried all options and compatibility-modes - no change

regards kurt
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

It fails the same way for me. Maybe a SuperMicro security block?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger