1752341 Members
5540 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2012 R2 remote desktop services / Virtual

fredmaine
Frequent Visitor

2012 R2 remote desktop services / Virtual

I am working on a client's virtual Windows 2012 R2 server, virtualized in Citrix XenCenter 6.

I am trying to add the role for Remote Desktop Services.   I successfully got it set up for Session Host (RDSH) and remote users can get a Win 2012 desktop, but the client wants users to get a virtual Windows 7 desktop.

So - I re-installed the role, chose Virtual Desktop (RDVH) deployment.

Setup goes fine except I'm not sure where to get the Windows 7 from.  Client has a Windows 7 template set up already under XenCenter, I was hoping to point to it, but it doesn't show on the pick-list while installing the role.

Can someone point me to some docs, or give an overview of how handing out Windows 7 desktops would normally be done?

As an aside, can a virtual Windows 2012 server host virtual desktops, anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

2 REPLIES 2
fredmaine
Frequent Visitor

To add to this; I've found documentation saying the virtual desktop is set up in HyperV manager, first.  The HyperV role wasn't installed, but I can't install HyperV, because Windows says there's a hypervisor already running.

The one already running must be XenCenter, which was used to virtualize the 2012 R2 server in the first place.

So; is it true then that a -virtual- Win 2012 R2 server with Remote Desktop Services installed, can't be used for providing virtual desktops (RDVH)?

Schild André
Occasional Advisor

Yes,

usually you can only use one layer of virtualisation.

In your case the XEN layer.

André