New Discussion юеВ

Re: GlancePlus Reports High Levels of Resident Memory

SOLVED
Go to solution
glenn henley
Occasional Advisor

GlancePlus Reports High Levels of Resident Memory

This is my first time so be gentle!!!

I'm testing some software that is experiencing some performance problems on a 10.20. I've been running it with Glance Plus and have noticed that on the 'Process List Screen' the
Res Mem values for 2 of the processes are quite high 40+Mb, and this causes GP to highlight them in red.

What does it all mean? Is this likely to have any effect on performance? And if so what can i do about it?

Thanks
The only people that never make mistakes, are the people that never try anything.
2 REPLIES 2
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi
It depends on the total amount of RAM you have.
Check the memory utilisation.
Right now on one of our machine with 4GB Ram, RSS is about 144mb.
regarding the effect on performance it depends, if there are more processes which need this kind of RAM in such a situation there may be lot page faults causing the performance to slow down. Otherwise I think it's OK.
So the bottom line is that it depends on the amount of RAM you have.

...BPK...
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

....What does it all mean? Is this likely to have any effect on performance? And if so what can i do about it?

It means that your program uses quite a bit of resident memory for data I would have to presume. It depends on how many instances you have to run of this code and how much memory you have to run it in.

If your processes will not fit into available memory, paging will happen, which will slow the box and the applications a bit. How much of a bit depends on how much paging is happening.

What you can do about it, is not run more instances than you need to, and make sure that they all fit into available memory. The other option is to get the programmer to change it so that it does not need that much memory to operate.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com