4978 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle instance with PRM

Rene Mendez_4
Super Advisor

Oracle instance with PRM

Hello folks,

Actually i have a great question about the use of PRM with oracle. The company (bank) is finishing the migration from Mainframe to HPUX, they have two principal process online and batch, in addition the components of the new enviroment is a escheme of layer composed by IAS+OAS+DB Server (all oracle) and only one instance of Data Base.

All the user that access the system are connected with unique user, then when IAS launche a requeriment (batch or online) to the data base it is done with this user.

We needed to prioritize one of the processes in this form: at the day online have more priority than batch, and at the night batch have more priority than online.

I know that PRM can integrated perfectly with ORACLE, i know too that PRM can prioritize apps groups, or user group. In this way from my view i don┬┤t believe that PRM can help us to prioritize the process, because i did not found a distintive for each process (batch / online) cause there is only one Instance and only one user.

If some one have any recomendations please let me know it..

5 REPLIES 5
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Rene,

If you are able to start the batch jobs in the backgroud than the batch jobs are reniced.
Using prm you can use the prmrun command to start a process in a specific prmgroup may be one of these options are usefull to you.
Check man prmrun.

Regards,

Gideon
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

This is all I know about PRM.
IT can be configured in two modes - pset (where no. of CPUS can be given to a groups defined in /etc/prm.conf)share mode (where % os cpud is given to the groups)

What you can do is have seperate groups for online processes and batch.

Now prepare two prmconf files. One file e.g say /etc/prmconf-online. This file would make sure that online process group is having large share and batch processes has less. The other file would (/etc/prmconf-batch) have large share for batch processes and less for online processes.

Now during day-time, you move (through cron) /etc/prmconf-online as /etc/prmconf and restart PRM. during night (again can be automated through cron) you move /etc/prmconf-batch as /etc/prmconf and restart PRM.

The whole process can be set through cron.

Also you check CAP_ON and cap_OFF options. With CAP_ON, if one group needs more share than it has been allocated it can take it from other group if availabe. The reverse holds tru for option CAP_OFF.

Hope this helps.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

depending upon the Operating Environment you have installed, you may have WLM (Work Load Manager) installed as well.
This works by using PRM, but uses goal based objectives, and can also react to conditions, such as setting things to change dependant upon time of day etc.
There are also toolkits for things like Oracle
Take a look here:
http://h30081.www3.hp.com/products/wlm/
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Rene Mendez_4
Super Advisor

Ok masters... but I want that you put in mind something. whenever I send to a process I do not have form to distinguish it (from the point of view of the data base), because the owner allways is the same user soliciing different requirements for the same data base.
Ej.
PID=12345 Name= oraDBcaja UserOwner=operasyb
PID=5467 Name= oraDBcaja UserOwner=operasyb

Where first it is batch and another one is online.

In fact the problem is a little more complex since within the data base does not exist specifics tables for the excluseve use of a certain process. Then as I reiterate to you I do not see the form to recognize each type of process in the layer of data base.
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

There needs to be some way differentiate between two processes. Otherwise I can not think of a way to do this.:-)

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK