5052 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

about kminstall

kazu_1
Occasional Contributor

about kminstall

Hello,

Is there somebody knows "kminstall" command well?

My question is that;
"Is it possible to reboot a machine later when the kminstall command (eg. kminstall -u A_module) has been executed?"

let's say, there is a limited time for the machine to reboot. Could I enter kminstall command and leave from the machine until the time for rebooting?

Thank you in advance. BTW the version of HP-UX is B.11.00
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Re: about kminstall

Hi

Depends on the module.

Some would need it now and some can wait.
You will get a lot of syslog messages if a reboot is urgent

http://www.josvisser.nl/hpux11-random/hpux11-random.html

Shows using it without a reboot

What are you trying to kminstall

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
kazu_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: about kminstall

Thanks Steve,

I'm sorry to say that I quite understand your advice and I didn't provide my problem of concern.

Actually, I'm not good at UNIX. In my environment, there is a HP-UX server which many staffs have used for testings of the variety of projects. They have worked on their own testing so that I cannot just type the "kminstall" command. You know, I would make lots of enemies. My boss gave me a task, "how does kminstall work?"

Anyway, I looked into the HP reference. It doen't tell me what I want to know. What I want to know is that;
at first, type "kminstall -u a_some_module_name
then, will the console window prompt any messages like "Do you want to reboot now?[Y/n]" or "I need reboot now!" etc.?
Like Windows, whenever a PC need to reboot, it shows the message for asking about reboot. Would it be same at kminstall?

...of course, I've never typed "kminstall" at all...

Steve, you told me that some module must reboot immediately after install. Is it possible to know which modules need to reboot urgent even if people doesn't know about those modules well.

Thank you in advance. And sorry for my English writing...