1752576 Members
4507 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPU Over-utilization

Michael Balenzano

CPU Over-utilization

I'm a 'newbie' to HP UX (UNIX in general). We have implemented a HP Integrity Server (rx7640) and are using it for SAP.

The system is configured using Virtual Machines, with the entitlement & max set for 75% - 100% for 2 VM's and 50% - 75% for the other 2 VM's

We currently have a situation that whenever we start the SAP installation the CPU utilization spikes and stays high while the install is occurring.

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior before? Our first reaction was to run 'top' and 'glance' to see if there were any 'orphaned' processes, but there is nothing apparent.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: CPU Over-utilization

Please keep this in mind (from manual):

"The sum of all entitlements across all active virtual machines cannot total more than 100% for any physical processor. If available processor resources are insufficient, the virtual machine is not allowed to boot; error messages are displayed to indicate the specific problem."

BTW, "stays high" is telling nothing (at least to me). What exactly means "high"?

It may also depent on what hardware resources do you have ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael Balenzano

Thanks for the reply ...

yes I'm aware of the entitlement rules. This system has 2CPU's (4 cores). We have dedicated 1 core to the HOST, the remaining 3 Cores have been distributed between the 4 Guests.

When I say 'high' CPU, I mean that the processor stays at anywhere between 92 to 100%.

In running GLANCE or TOP, my top culprits are:
sapinstexe
java
vxfsd
(in that order)

Are there any other parameters that I could look at that would help me out to see if I have the CPU assigned designated properly, or could this be a hardware issue?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would try with lower minimum entitlement values first - this gives the VM more power if available.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!