1753696 Members
5927 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPU Percentages

Gary Cannon

CPU Percentages

We all know that the CPU's can operate at 100% sometimes thats both good and bad, but what percentage or level should I keep my CPU's at to allow room for other processes and to prevent any thrashing. I'm just looking for a recommended percentage. I can either increase or decrease the number of Database models running to change my values. I have a K260 w/3 proc's running HPUX 10.20. I called HP and they wouldn't recommend any percentage.
2 REPLIES 2
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Re: CPU Percentages

Hi Gary:

Actually, CPU percentage is only one point when we consider performance, you have to consider %wcpu, %busy, avque, %wio, and %idle (by using top, sar or other tools) at the same time, after evaluate all the parameters, we can say whether the systems performace is good. It is a little difficult to give you a general number regarding CPU percentage, I guess that is why you can not get answer from HP.

See
http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=f1961bbd110554bdf1/screen=ckiSearchResults?mode=id&searchString=A4460661
Hope this article is helpful for your question.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Re: CPU Percentages

Hi Gary

There are many ways to look at this . Obviously you would like to look at the load average and the overall performance of the machine rather than concentrating on the CPU itself .The best way to look at it do a sar anlysis .Go to ww.sarcheck.com and download a simple software the trial copy is for 0ne month and you will get wonderful analysis done and it is free for one month . I am attaching one such analysis for one of my systems so that you get a feel of it .

Manoj Srivastava