4592 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procedure to locate/idnetify an iCAP processor

Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Procedure to locate/idnetify an iCAP processor

Hi Experts,
There are three iCAP CPUs in a superdome partition. How can I locate/idnetify which are iCAP CPUs (cell number, CPU slot number).
17 REPLIES 17

There is nothing "physically" different about an iCAP processor versus an active processor. All that happens is that at boot time a system with iCAP codewords applied will read data on the number of iCAP CPUs out of NVRAM on the system, and not use that many CPUs. This is left to the OS (and/or vPar software) to determine.

Why do you care which CPU is on and which is off?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Thanks Duncan.
So if I move a CPU or a full cell board with 4 CPUs from an iCAP enabled partition to another partition, what will be the status of CPU there? (active or inactive)?

This is discussed in the iCAP manual:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01942677/c01942677.pdf

See section 4.11 on p67

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Hi Thanks,
This document discuss about the same complex with more than one partition.
If I move the CPU or Cell board from one complex (iCAP enabled)to other complex (non iCAP). What would be the status of CPUs in this 2nd complex?

iCAP CPUs are bound to complexes, not to cell boards, so if you took a cell board out of one complex and put it in another then you would be moving ACTIVE CPUs from that complex to another.

So for example if I had:

System A - a rx8640 with 4 cell boards/32 cores and iCAP reported 24 Active/8 iCAP cores

System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/24 cores and no iCAP

and I took a cell board out of system A and put it in system B, I would end up with:

System A - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/24 cores and iCAP reported 16 Active/ 8 iCAP cores

System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/32 cores and no iCAP

See section A.5 on p189 of the same manual.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Great!
So after moving the cell board, the system B is
>>System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/32 cores and no iCAP
it would be
System B - a rx8640 with 4 cell boards/32 cores and no iCAP
??
And what about all the 32 cores in system B, active?

Best Regards,
Abid Iqbal
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Also your opinion will be of great value to me.
Below is a new situation.
System A - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/24 cores and iCAP reported 18 Active/6 iCAP cores

System B - a rx8640 with 2 cell boards/12 cores (six on each cell) and no iCAP

and I took a cell board out of system A and put it in system B, It would end up with:

System A - a rx8640 with 2 cell boards/16 cores and iCAP reported 16 Active/ 0 iCAP cores

System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/20 cores and no iCAP ( all active cores)
Is it true??
Regards,
Abid Iqbal

Answering the first question:

> And what about all the 32 cores in system B, active?

Yes, all active because iCAP (inactive) cores have stayed with iCAP system (system A)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

> Below is a new situation.
> System A - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/24 cores and iCAP reported 18 Active/6 iCAP cores
>
> System B - a rx8640 with 2 cell boards/12 cores (six on each cell) and no iCAP
>
> and I took a cell board out of system A and put it in system B, It would end up with:
>
> System A - a rx8640 with 2 cell boards/16 cores and iCAP reported 16 Active/ 0 iCAP cores
>
> System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/20 cores and no iCAP ( all active cores

No, we don't give away activations! In the above you went from a total across the 2 systems with a total of 30 active / 6 iCAP to 36 active / 0 iCAP! You certainly can't do that. The number of inactive cores on system A has to remain the same if you did this you would end up with:

System A - a rx8640 with 2 cell boards/16 cores and iCAP reported 10 Active/6 iCAP cores

System B - a rx8640 with 3 cell boards/20 cores (six on the 2 existing cells, 8 on the new one) and no iCAP

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo