New Discussion юеВ

questions on PRM and ICOD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jimmy Tom_1
Advisor

questions on PRM and ICOD

PRM - Process Resource Manager

With the new PRM version on HP-UX 11.0, it incorporated the management of the disk I/O feature. Dowes anyone know if this feature is avaliable on the HP-UX 10x version? Is there a link where I can read more on this new disk I/O feature?

ICOD - Instant Capcity on Demand

A. ICOD for servers.
How does it work with Software Vendors and their charges per CPU. For example, if a N server is loaded with 8 CPU's running software like Oracle, 3 are being used and 5 are ICOD, how would a company like Oracle charge per CPU?????

B.
Is there a trial period where we can add additional CPU power on a server to see what the increased performance is and turn it back off or if is use past the trial period, then we need to purchase the CPUs??

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

Re: questions on PRM and ICOD

I found some great info regarding PRM at the following URL:

http://resourcemanagement.unixsolutions.hp.com/WaRM/prm/info.html

As to the Oracle pricing. Oracle cares only about the number of Physical processors in the server. The don't care whether they are used or not. I hope this helps. I couldn't help with the other part of your question. Hopefully someone else will be able to.

Good Luck,
Jason V.
Tie two birds together, eventhough they have four wings, they cannot fly.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

PRM enhancements were not back ported to 10.20 as far as I know. HP announced the planned obsolescence of 10.20 for June 2002. Version 10.20 has been around for more than 6 years, and 11.0 has been around since 1997. Time to upgrade...

As far as Instant Capacity On Demand, only Oracle can answer that question. Processes and the kernel's dispatcher see only the processors currently activated. But a clever (not so clever?) program may be able to find the physical number installed by bypassing ICOD's limits.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jimmy Tom_1
Advisor

Bill,

I found the following PRM link that indicates the disk I/O bandwidth feature is supported on the 10.20 version.

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B3835CA

Do you think that this is a miss print?

Thanks

Steven Landherr
Solution

From the PRM User's Guide, available on docs.hp.com:

"To use PRM's disk bandwidth management, the disks to be controlled by PRM must be managed by Logical Volume Manager (LVM). If you are running PRM on HP-UX 10.20, install patch PHKL_16751 (or its successor) to take advantage of disk bandwidth management. If you are running PRM on HP-UX 11.0 and would like to use disk bandwidth management, install the February 1999 Extension Software Release."