vmstat and iostat

SOLVED
Go to solution
Satish Y
Trusted Contributor

vmstat and iostat

Hi Experts,

Greetings for the day!

Can you please explain how u analyse vnmstat and iostat output, I mean what values u treat as normal and what r exceptional and what actions needs to be taken if any value reaches its abnormal limit?...
(I am aware of what each column represents)

I found lot of books but they don't explain about situations.

I know it is not possible to explain in brief, but it's OK even each of u answer one situation.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers...
Satish.
Difference between good and the best is only a little effort
4 REPLIES 4
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: vmstat and iostat

Your budget probably won't allow it, but Measureware/glance is good for this as you can set up alerts to go off at certain points.

Otherwise, a couple vmstat items to look at:
If PO ever goes above 0 I'd want to know.
If free memory reached a certain point, (depends on amount on the server) I'd want to know. Maybe 25 MB or so.
If CPU Idle remained at >5 I'd also want to know.
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Satish,

I don't really look at iostat figures when I think that I have a disk problem. I look at sar -d and sar -b reports. However, you can find the busiest disk in detail using iostat by
looking at bps and sps. You may get a good feel of the response time by looking at msps. I have not seen msps beyond 1ms (1ms is the default). So, I feel anything above 1ms on msps is a bottleneck. However, I would look at sar -d along with %wio with sar -u and then confirm it.

And with vmstat, I would look at "b" (procs blocked for resources), so (swap out), po (page outs). I wouldn't like to see non-zero values there. Also I would look at free. I would be concerned to see a low value there. About cpu, us - user mode, sy - system mode and id- idle idle ~ 0 means cpu constraint. You can get the same info from sar -u.

vmstat -s |grep swap

If there are non-negative values, look at your memory usage.

This is only my 2c.

-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi Satish
The first column (r) in vmstat output gives you CPU run queue. Higher number suggests a CPU bottleneck. This is similar to #sar -q

Also higher number of "po" (page out) and "sr" (scan rate) less "free" memory
suggest memory bottleneck/near bottleneck. But this could be because of higher number of buffers also.

Prashant.
Take it as it comes.