Aruba & ProVision-based
1757725 Members
2244 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Abnormal behavior issue on HP Procurve 8212zl.

chanchaij
Occasional Visitor

Abnormal behavior issue on HP Procurve 8212zl.

First of all, I would like to clarify the detail of scenario in this issue.There are three HP Procurve 8200zl series include 8212 and Two 8206 and all switch act as core function.

On HP8212 switch, I tested by ping and trace route between PC and Gateway itself in connected network as result in attachment. Ping result is less than 1ms but Trace route is more than 100ms. It so much difference!

In my opinion. To ping and trace route between PC and Gateway itself in the same network should not perform any routing process that may cause core switch consume CPU and Memory resource which make core switch perform abnormal behavior.

Is it a normal operation of the device or else? Would you please clarify cause of abnormal behavior on HP switches.

Thank you for your support.

Please see more information in attachment.

Best Regards

Chanchai J.

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Abnormal behavior issue on HP Procurve 8212zl.

Hi Chanchai,

Whilst i'm not ruling out that there might be a problem, it is quite common in my experience for traceroutes to take a lot longer than pings. Usually not 100x longer, but 10x is common.

Is there any other evidence that your switch is not working correctly?
Regards,
Paul
chanchaij
Occasional Visitor

Re: Abnormal behavior issue on HP Procurve 8212zl.

Thank you for your comment.

I suffer with unstable performance of HP8206 switch but can not find the root cause of problem for three months until this day. If HP8206 forward traffic more than 500,000 packet per second from inbound and outbound then will suffer with amount of delay time which more than 100ms  and several packet loss problem. The evidence has been found and captured by by Manage Engine Netflow Analyze and Ping Plotter as attachments below.

So, I have simulated the same amount of packet with Jperf ,It cause the same result.

If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please share.

Best Regards

Chanchaij

CCNP, CCDP, CCNA security