Aruba & ProVision-based
1755229 Members
4886 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to encrypt radius shared secret?

Packet-Ghost
Occasional Advisor

How to encrypt radius shared secret?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to enter the radius shared secret in encrypted format either globaly or on the radius-server entry.

Usually I would enter:

radius-server host 10.0.0.100 key MySecret

The problem with this is that the key is visible in clear text when you do a "sh run" command. Is there any way to encrypt this so that it is not in clear text?

I'm looking at the doc's, and it says something about "encrypted-key" but I'm not able to actually figure it out.

We're running 5406zl's with ver. K.15.09.0004

Thanks,

K.

4 REPLIES 4
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

in your sofware version you can use the command:

HP5406(config)# encrypt-credentials

This command will encrypt all passwords and authentication keys including RADIUS keys.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards,

Michael

Ingentive Networks GmbH

http://www.ingentive.net

Ingentive Networks GmbH
Diesel315
Occasional Visitor

Hello everybody.

Bring up the subject. Prescribed command encrypt-credentials. Everything is great, but if you type the command show radius, then again, one can see this pre-shared key.

Any idea how to encrypt and there?

lagp
Occasional Advisor

I also noticed after adding the encrypted-credentials command to my HP 2910-al now running 15.08 still displays the radius key in clear text when I execute the command show radius.  I see the password is encrypted when viewing the running configuration.  Could not find any references in the guide "Access Security Guide W15.07" or in the following link

http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/Hardening_ProCurve_Switches_White_Paper.pdf covering encrypting radius key.  May call HP and see what they have to say.

Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Show Radius and Show run are only available to users with elevated privileges (enable). If you want certain users that have evelvated privileges not to see the radius key then you can restrict their access to certain commands. i.e show radius.

That will then allow you to control who can access this command but will still have elevated privileges to perform all other operations...

"Commands Authorization" can be found in the Access Security Guide documentation under section 6. RADIUS Authentication, Authorization and Accounting.

Hope this helps if you don'tget anywhere with HP.

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.