1755376 Members
3880 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Need help getting the right SFP

HelenKinkin
Visitor

Need help getting the right SFP

We just got Multi-Mode 50 Micron OM-3  fiber put in between to buildings, not more then a 300-400 meter distance.  We have HP 2530 48 port switches.  I am using a J9150A compatible SFP and for the life of me cannot get it to work.  Am I using the right SFP? If not any suggestions?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Need help getting the right SFP

@@HelenKinkin wrote: I am using a J9150A compatible SFP and for the life of me cannot get it to work.  Am I using the right SFP? If not any suggestions?

No, you aren't. First of all you need to use an SFP Transceiver, not an SFP+ one. SFP = 1Gbps (Gigabit Ethernet) while SFP+ = 10Gbps (TenGigabit Ethernet)...an SFP+ Slot can accept SFP Transceiver instead of SFP+ Transceiver but NOT vice-versa...this means that an Aruba 2530 - which hasn't any SFP+ ports - must not be equipped with SFP+ Transceivers like the J9150A, simply they are unsupported on that platform.

As example, Aruba 2540 switch series does support SFP+ Transceivers.

If you have a pair of Aruba 2530 on both ends of your Fiber Optic run you should use supported (and Aruba original) J4858D (or, eventually, older J4858C)...provided that your fiber optic link's length is less than 500 meters long AND fiber optic cable belongs to OM2 class (reference: ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceivers Guide, 5th Edition September 2018).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner