1755134 Members
3157 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Passing vlan across 2 Procurve 2530-24G switches

pwashburn
Occasional Visitor

Passing vlan across 2 Procurve 2530-24G switches

Im running into an issue passing vlan traffic across two switches. 

Environment:

Cisco router running dot1q encapsulation

2 HP Procurve 2530 (Software revision: YA.15.12.0007) with axiom J4858B-AX gbic adapters

Vlan 1 (default) , 2 (voice), 10 (user vlan)

Router <ethernet> Switch A <fiber> Switch B

Switch A

Port 24 (uplink to router) > Vlan 1 (untagged), Vlan 2 (tagged), Vlan 10 (tagged)

Port 25 (fiber connection to Switch B) > Vlan 1 (no), Vlan 2 (tagged), Vlan 10 (tagged)

Switch B

Port 25 (fiber connection to Switch A) > Vlan 1 (no), Vlan 2 (tagged), Vlan 10 (tagged)

Port 1-24 (connection to user devices) > Vlan 1 (no), Vlan2 (tagged), Vlan 10 (untagged)

Question:

I get enough of a connection for the machines on vlan 10 to get dhcp from the router, but the traffic flow has been extremely inconsistent (randomly up for 2 minutes down for 5, etc).  When I set vlan 1 to untagged  for port 25 on both switches I am able to ping across on vlan 1 consistently with no issue, but not vlan 10. 

Am I missing something obvious with this configuration or do i need to start looking at firmware updates for gbic errors? 

Thank you,

Paul

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Passing vlan across 2 Procurve 2530-24G switches

Looks fine.

Are your VLAN10 devices on SwitchB directly, or through a phone?

What does your router config look like?

Check your switch logs (set them to info or debug first) - is there anything ocurring on them toi explain the outages?

Check the router logs.

The fact you have connectivity tends to prove you have your Layer2 working fine. Intermittent outages lasting for minutes at a time could be,

- hardware - SX SFP on a singlmode fibre, for example, or mismatched fibre patch leads/structured fibre

- spanning tree - do you have more than one link between the switches, do a "show lldp" to ensure you understand what's attached.

- flooding - loop somewhere? Unpatch everything except for your testing devices.

- Layer3 - conflicting routes? Not sure how this could happen as it should be a connected route due to the subinterface config on the router.

This is whay the logs are the place to check. ALthough first thing I would see is whether the interface LEDs are behaving themselves.