1755670 Members
4394 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add Win2003 server to a Small Business Server 4.5 domain

Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Add Win2003 server to a Small Business Server 4.5 domain

I added a Windows 2003 server to a Small Business Server 4.5 domain by right clicking on ├в My Computer├в and added it from the Computer Name tab. I received the message welcoming the server to the domain. I didn├в t add it from the SBS console because the only option was to add workstations. Everything seems ok except for one issue. When I reboot the server I get the SBS setup wizard and then the following error:

Setup was unable to open information file \\server1\clients\reponse\server2\clioc.inf
This makes sense because I didn├в t go through the client setup wizard, but how do I prevent this error from showing?

Is there another method to add a Windows 2003 server to a Small Business Server 4.5 domain, which avoids th
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
8 REPLIES 8
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Another thing I just noticed is that only the two servers are showing in My Network Places, and all the other PCs that normally show aren't showing anymore, but I can find them if I search for them using their UNC path. Does adding the Win2003 server do somehting to NETBIOS discovery?
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Well... the usual things apply... Server 2003 is a higher level than NT 4.0 and 2000 and will declare itself the browse master.

Your new server will attempt to handle all browse requests.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Consolidating...

My understanding of SBS 4.0 and 4.5 was that it was meant to be a self contained single server answer. There was NOT the ability to have additional servers added to the SBS domain.

Now... this was changed in SBS 2003 (and I believe in SBS 2K) to allow you to add member servers, but not additional DC's, etc.

This doesn't resolve your problem, but it DOES explain why the option to add additional servers in not available in the wizard.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the replies...but, all things I already know.
RD
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Do you get the error when you log in to the box with a domain account or local account?
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Hi Doug, I receive the error when I log into the domain; but it doesn't effect the functionality. What i've been doing is logging in locally with no errors, and all domain users access the server w/out issues. Therefore, I'm not concerned about the error.
Thanks to all who replied.
Richard
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Cool.
You could probably aviod the error when logging into the domain by manually installing the SBS client on your Windows 2003 server.