3828 Online
54811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

slow speed of modem

armstrong
Contributor

slow speed of modem

All master,

I'd a laptop integrated modem with XP OS. The speed is too slow to browse via internet. I reinstall OS but the problem still exist. Then I use GVC modem card, the performace improve a little, it work properly at the begin of 10-20 minutes then speed slide down quickly so much as I can't browse HP.com website. Pls adv. your suggestion.
Best solution Best question
2 REPLIES 2
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: slow speed of modem

Have you tried a different phone line - maybe at a friend's house -preferably in a different town? A noisy line can cause this problem.

Your ISP could also be at fault. Some of them are way oversold. See if it seems a lot faster very early in the morning.

Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and let them scan your system for needed upgrades and new drivers. You should do this anyway just to make sure you have the latest patches.

Finally make sure you do not have a virus or trojan. Some of them will make your system run slow because they are busy using the internet too.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/
will do an online scan. Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com is also a good way to detect this kind of thing. If an unknown program tries to access the internet then Zone Alarm will raise an alarm.

Ron

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: slow speed of modem

Hi:

Many telephone providers now offer a method of isolating your home wiring from their network. This is typically done at the MPOE (Minimum Point Of Entry, I beleive) by disconnecting a standard phone plug (RJ11/RJ12?) and inserting the cable from your laptop modem in it's place. Now re-test. If your PC puts a DUN icon (2 adjacent PC monitors) in the system tray, moving the mouse pointer over it should pop up information showing the speed at which you're connected. If the speed in your home is significantly slower than at the MPOE, you'll need someone to find the problem with your inside wiring. Also, some phone companies use multiplexing hardware to mask situations where they have fewer 'pairs' than they have customers. In the presence of this hardware, you'll rarely be able to achieve more than 28.8 Kbps.

The biggest problem is few, if any, phone companies support analog internet access over standard telephone lines above 19.2Kbps. So if you have a 56K modem running at 28.8K, you're on your own in terms of solving the problem.

Run the test I suggested above and let us know the results.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger