3355 Online
108895 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c7000 Adding FC SAN

Adrian_C
Occasional Contributor

c7000 Adding FC SAN

Hi,

I've recently taken over a network that has a C7000 enclosure populated with 2x BL480c and 4x BL460c (each with their own SB40c storage blade).

4 of the 6 Blades run physical Windows servers, and two run ESX. At present each ESX only has its own local storage which is starting to become an issue (no HA, storage issues etc).

My plan is to migrate storage to a P2000 G3 MSA Dual controller FC array. I'll admit the Blade thing is new to me, but I have some experience with SANs.

Initially I would just connect the 2 ESX blades to the SAN and move the VM's to the shared storage. But down the track I would like to migrate some of the physical blades to virtual infrastructure, thus freeing up more physical blades for ESX servers.

I'm just wondering what my best options are for connecting FC to the blades. I have spend a bit of time researching and realise I require Mezzanine HBA's in the blades that I require FC connectivity to. But the interconnect is a little confusing.

If I use a FC-VC do i need to replace my current ethernet blade switches (2x GBe2c's).

Or should I stick to passthrough interconnect modules and have external switches?

Or should I utilise interconnect SAN switches?

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

8 REPLIES 8
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey!

Some people like the passthrough because it becomes a little simpler, OK you'll need more cables but there's less switches to worry about.
VC is nice as it would simplify HBA replacements (no need to re-zone for example) and also less cables, but does add a level of complexity.

The VC-FC modules don't go in the same slot as the GBe2cs but maybe the VC-FC requires VC-Ethernet modules too?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There are pros and cons, but each option is possible (VC/pass-thru/switch as interconnect). If you have external switches, pass-thru is probably the easy and cheap solution.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It's also possible to get 6g SAS-switches and connect to an P2000sa G3.
Adrian_C
Occasional Contributor

Would SAS switches limit our host choice in the future?

ie if we wanted to run say a DL380 host instead of a blade?

Thanks.

Adrian

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You could leave some spare host ports in the P2000 - that way you can put an external host in there at a later stage. Or you can just change the cabling.

I can't see in the quickspecs for either 3G or 6G if you can connect a non-blade server to the SAS-switch.
But if you for example connect the P2000 G3 to the SAS-switch, then the left ports in each SAS-switch goes to blade bays 1-8.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Adrian,

If you want to use Virtual Connect FC, then you will have to swap your Ethernet Switches for VC capable modules, (The Virtual Connect Manager software runs on the module in Bay 1 (Bay 2 = standby for failover).   The VC Manager controls the configuration and administration of both Ethernet and FC connectivity, (and VC profiles).

If you want to retain your Switches, then your options are FC Passthru, or FC Switch modules.    (Note:: the FC switch modules are exactly that, i.e. SAN switches, and are administered much the same way as your external SAN switches.

Dave.    

Adrian_C
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm learning more each day regarding this.

The SAS switch route does look appealing.

I believe we have a first-generation C7000. Does this mean that I can only use 3GB SAS BL Switches? I thought I read somewhere that the 6Gb SAS BL Switches only support C7000 G2 enclosures. But the specifications page for the 6Gb SAS BL Switch just says c7000 as BladeSystem supported (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/3709945-3709945-3710104-3762222-3762221-5078003.html)

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13960_div/13960_div.html#Solutions Components

"The SAS Switch is supported only in the HP c-Class Enclosures (c7000 (RoHS 6 of 6 compliant enclosures) & c3000)"

I hadn't actually heard of the C7000 G2 chassi before, but maybe the G2 is the fully RoHS compliant chassi?