1755067 Members
3558 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion

VC Tunnel Mode stripping Vlan Tags ??

Sketch
Occasional Collector

VC Tunnel Mode stripping Vlan Tags ??

Hello - I've got ESXi installed on 6 BL490's in a C7k chassis (BFS). 5 servers are working fine (Bays 1, 2, 3, 9, & 10). However, the last server (bay 11, and three servers on another chassis) can not communicate once I add a VLAN tag. if i Drop them all to VLAN 1 (default), then they can talk. all profiles are the same (re-copied from a working bay just to make sure). The VCe firmware version is 3.15 (we're not concerned with the DNS issue for now). As for firmware, I don't think this is the problem as if SOME work, then all should work.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what I might be missing?

1 REPLY 1
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: VC Tunnel Mode stripping Vlan Tags ??

From the Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook:

• NEW! - Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook 
  •  from page 10.

Tunnel vs. Map VLAN tags setting

It is important to note that the behavior of both vNets and Shared Uplink Sets is dependent on whether

VLAN Tunnel or Map VLAN Tags is set. Server VLAN Tagging Support, as configured in the “Advanced

Ethernet Settings” tab of Virtual Connect is a Domain wide configuration.

If Virtual Connect is set to Tunnel Mode, you can do the following;

• 

will need to interpret those tags

Create a vNet – which can support both TAGGED or UNTAGGED frames, if tagged the host system 

If Virtual Connect is set to Map VLAN Tags Mode, you can do the following;

• 

connect multiple networks to a NIC) which can support several VLANs up to the publish limits.

Create a Shared Uplink Set – (the behavior of a SUS changes and now provides the ability to 

• These VLANs can be presented to a Server NIC, as either a single Network (where VC will remove

•   Create a vNet – (the behavior of a vNet also changes) a vNet can now only support UNTAGGED

frames, which means a vNet could then only support ONE VLAN/network

the tags and present an untagged frame to the NIC), or as multiple Networks, where VC will

present all frames with their VLAN tags, in which case the host system will need to interpret the tags

(one network could be configured as untagged)

Create a Shared Uplink Set – which can support several VLANs up to the publish limits

•  These VLANs can be presented to a Server NIC, one at a time – No multiple VLANS supported,

frames are presented to the NIC untagged