1756222 Members
2513 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect upgrade / design questions

jdixon
Frequent Advisor

Virtual Connect upgrade / design questions

I'm looking at upgrade our environment to 10GbE and wanted some input. I thought I would detail my current environment, my plan to go to 10GbE, and what I would need. Just looking for some input on experiences / if I have anything wrong based on my research:

What I currently have:

• Two c7000 enclosures with 1GB GbE2c modules (bay 1&2) and 4GB fibre modules (bay 3&4)
  • BL460c G6 with NC532i Flex-10 Adapters and 4GB fibre mezzanies
  • One 4108GL switch
  • P2000 G3 Fibre SAN (8GB fibre)
  • Two Brocade 200E external switches
  • Hyper-V 2012 with SCVMM 2012 R2 (no network virtualization)
  • About 20 VLANs

What my plan is:

• One c7000 enclosure with two HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port modules
  • Get rid of the Brocade 200E and connect SAN directly to enclosure since I will only have one enclosure now
  • BL460c already has adapters for virtual connect so no need to upgrade
  • Replace 4108GL with 5412ZL procurve switch
  • Hyper-V 2012 with SCVMM 2012 R2 (with possibility of network virtualization)
  • About 4 VLANs (replace VLANs with network virtualization)

Some questions I have:

• From my research I cna use the FlexFabric modules for SAN connecitivty and ethernet connectiivty. Is that right?
  • Can I put RJ-45 transceivers in the FlexFabric modules for 1GB connectivity to the new 5412ZL switch? It looks like you can but everything in the enclosure will still be 10GbE right? As long as it doesn't leave the enclosure?
  • Does the NC532i Flex-10 adapters in the BL460c G6 servers handle  the SAN connectivity or do I still need the fibre mezzane in the server for SAN connectivty?

Parts I need based on research:

• Two HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Modules
  • Four 1Gb RJ-45 Transceiver (two per module... static trunk from those to core 5412ZL switch for external LAN connectivity)
  • Four 8GB Shortwave Fibre transcievers for SAN connectivity to P2000 G3

Thanks in advance! I put this under virtual connect forum because majority of my questions involve virtual connect.