New Discussion юеВ

Re: internet security for home PCs

SOLVED
Go to solution
jane zhang
Regular Advisor

internet security for home PCs

Dear All,

I have home PCs with windows or linux installed. I access web using linkSys device through a local cable company.

Somehow, I am worried about the internet security of my Home PCs. How to prevent some people to capture my key stroke using evil software when I am typing my important id/password to my bank account or something else important?

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Jane
7 REPLIES 7
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

download and install and keepup to date

Spywareblaster

www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spybot S&D
www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

AVG Free (If you don't have anti-virus)

free.grisoft.com/

Zonealarm (A Firewall)

www.zonelabs.com

That should keep you resonabily Safe
Divide and Conquer
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Jane,

You already have been given very good advice. I would like to add HitmanPro for a complete package on removing Adware and Spyware.

Personally I am not too keen on ZoneAlarm. TinyPersonalFirewall is quite nice, but this is just a personal opinion. Use Firefox instead of MS Internet Explorer. Disable ActiveX and active desktop on your MSwin boxes. Disable MSClient and Printer/File sharing on the MSwin machines for your Network interfaces if you are not doing any local filesharing. Your Linux machines should not get much exposure to Viri and Worms, but it is good to be paranoid.

Finally, security starts with the user. You can do a lot in prevention, but if the user Clicks on the wrong button in the pop-up, it is like inviting the burglar into your home.

You mentioned home PC. Presuming this is for your family and you have children old enough to surf. Coaching them on secure behaviour might save you a lot of headache in the future :-)

Goodluck
jane zhang
Regular Advisor

Thanks,

I will try those, are those free software?

Jane
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Jane,

Only the firewall I mention is non-free. The anti Spy/Addware software is free for individual use.

ZoneAlarm has a free version, so it may be worth your while to have a look at this one first. Make sure you always have the latest patches. If you play online games (multiplayer games), you may want to temporary shutdown any firewall. Using a firewall for the first time can be a bit daunting, but you'll get the hang of it.

Goodluck with your choice.
letisha

i need help with my computer i cant get into my wireless internet
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor

Raise a new question under Networking
Divide and Conquer
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor