1783198 Members
1728 Online
109144 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 420 AP & Cisco 3550-24-PWR Switch

DaveK
Occasional Contributor

Procurve 420 AP & Cisco 3550-24-PWR Switch

I just got two Procurve 420 AP's (J8130A), and have a Cisco C3550-24-PWR Switch running IOS 12.2-44 SE1. When I plug the AP's into the switch, they power up, but go into a boot loop. The switch recognizes them as "Ieee PD" set to 15.4W. I have a Procurve 420 AP running elsewhere on the same model switch that works fine, and this switch is powering my Avaya 5610 IP phone perfectly (which is also recognized as an IEEE PD). Does anyone have any ideas why these 420's don't want to work right with this switch?

Thanks,

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Re: Procurve 420 AP & Cisco 3550-24-PWR Switch

are you able to do some swap troubleshooting to narrow down the culprit? A power adapter or POE injector for the troublesome 420, swapping the two 420s, trying different cables, etc.? Let us know what you've already tried.
DRK
Occasional Advisor

Re: Procurve 420 AP & Cisco 3550-24-PWR Switch

Well, I've tried different cables, same result. They function properly with a 3.3v 2A power supply from my Buffalo Wireless Router, but do the same boot loop with a 3.3v 4.5A power supply from a Cisco PIX501 (In case you're not familiar with them, they call for a 3.3v 4A power supply or Standard 48v POE). Tried all different ports on the switch, same result. I won't be able to do anything for a few weeks at this point as I'm away and will be for a while, but when I get back, a friend of mine should have his 5412zl switches, and I'll bring the APs to his office and try them on HP switches and see how they behave. If they (mis)behave the same way on the HP switch the way they do on the Cisco, it'll be a call to HP for warranty If they work properly, then I'll probably look for a Procurve POE switch of some sort to replace the Cisco.

Edit: I also tried a Cisco single port power injector like you'd use with an Aironet AP as well as an Avaya Power Injector, neither of which sparked a hint of life in the HP AP's.