1760548 Members
2712 Online
108894 Solutions
New Discussion

SSH and opening ports

Ronan Cooney

SSH and opening ports

Hi all!

Here's the situation. I've setup a Redhat server onto my work network (Windows NT) and all are communicating fine. Now, what I want to happen is for an outside company to be able to 'ssh' into this Redhat server and pull information off it. So I believe I need to open port 22 on the NT server to allow this. How do I do it? Do I need port tunnelling from Nt server to Redhat server? Do I need to install certain programs on the NT server to allow me to open a port or can this be done through cmd-prompt or telnet? I'm a bit of a novice to all this so as much help as possible would be greatly appreciated!!!
1 REPLY 1
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: SSH and opening ports

Hi,

I don't get clearly what is the position of your NT server compared to your Linux.
Whatsoever, the good news is, unless you have a firewall specifically closing it, all ports are open on NT, no special stuff needed to allos it.
But you still have to launch sshd to allow ssh connection... on your linux server of course.
As for your NT box, can you telle more about the role it's supposed to have in this transaction ?
Thanks

Jerome henry
You can lean only on what resists you...