Re: SSMC and log4j vulnerability

@GregMoss Why are you upgrading to 2.6 or 2.7? Try from 3.8.x to 3.8.2.1

-Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

GregMoss
Occasional Advisor

"3.6 to 3.812 Fails, 2.6 to 3.80 Fails, 2,6 to 2,7 Fails. " was a mistype. Should read "3.6 to 3.812 Fails, 2.6 to 3.80 Fails, 3.6 to 3.7 Fails. ADDING 3.6 to 3.8 Fails AND 3.6 to 3.8 Fails

SSH'ed in, pulled SSMC.log (2 days old, 22megs), filled with entries (simiar to) Below. I've attached logs to SR with HPE. 

2021-12-23 13:36:03.476+1100 ERROR c.h.t.n.i.AlertsLocalizationUtil - Badly formatted introduced version: {"alertType":"EVT_FSVC_STATE_CHANGE","catalogKey":"archiving-event:archiving.cmd.failedvalidation-file-store","customerCorrectiveAction":"An event occurred that requires attention. Contact your authorized service provider for assistance.","forService":false,"introducedVersion":"3.3.1.MU1.P07","messageCode":7208961,"serviceCorrectiveAction":"An event occurred that requires attention. Contact your authorized service provider.","stateText":"FAILED","tier":"general","typeDescription":"File Services state change"}

andrewk4
Visitor

I had no issues upgrading though I always keep fairly up to date and only had to go up one version.

For those having issues though - why not just spin up a fresh install of the latest version? Seems it would be way faster and less hassle. You can always keep the old one around (and offline so not vulnerable) and not delete till ready. Just a thought.

Happy holidays all

BBARBAROS
Advisor

@andrewk4 

Well, we definitely thought about that you can be sure same result....brand new 3.8, nothing is attached, tried both 3.8 upgrade and 3.8.2.1 upgrade, it wouldn`t do

goslackware
Occasional Advisor

Try: 3.3 -> 3.6 -> 3.8 -> 3.8.x.x (latest)

Or deploy a new SSMC, then shutdown the old SSMC when convenient

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @BBARBAROS,

If you can check the SSMC upgrade activity logs, are you finding this error? '/var/lib/dpkg/lock was found to be acquired'

If yes, some other process may be running simultaneously that is stopping the SSMC new version to acquire lock to the directory /var/lib/dpkg/

You may wait for the other process to complete and then proceed with upgrading SSMC.

Or identify, terminate/stop the other process and then proceed.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo