HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1758039 Members
2382 Online
108867 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to check intake temperature of HP-UX Server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Simard
Frequent Advisor

How to check intake temperature of HP-UX Server.

Hi,
I was wondering if there's a command you can run, that will tell you the intake temperature of a hp-ux server.

What happens is, our air conditionning units sometimes go down, resulting in an increase in temperature all the way up to 35C and even until the server shuts itself down. We have 40 servers and the last time this happened, 15 of them shutdown. Usually, a couple of months after that, we start seeing hardware failing...

How to query the temperature! ???

Thanks,
Si tu n'as pas ce que tu aimes, aimes ce que tu as.
9 REPLIES 9
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

HI

Check Out :-

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x83d335067c18d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

Not sure if there is a command for that. Each server will be affected by lots of different factors air flow, cabinet configuration, server configuration. When the equipment gets hot then metal or components on the chips and cards will expand that may cause connections and welds to break or move. Best to keep environmental outages minimal.
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Meat Thermometer?? Sorry for the Wednesday morning humor.

LOL

REZ
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

there is no any command to querry the intake temperatire by HP boxes, while Tru64 OS display the current temperature during boot, while HP-UX doesn't.
The solution is adding additional A/C's
never give up
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

Intake temp? We generally monitor our server room temp to maintain our temperature. When I first saw this posted I though it was a humor post. In which case:

You need to install a ram air or cold air intake system. possibly some ground effects and a few neon lights. That should do the trick. :)
All paths lead to destiny
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

AS you have seen, excessive temperatures (35 and higher) lead to hardware failures, and often times, the cost for repair and downtime is MUCH larger than the cost of replacing inadequate air conditining. And most important: only the newer machines can turn themselves off when it is too hot. Disks and tapes and printers seldom have this feature so a long outage could destroy most of the peripherals as well as stress (and therefore make very unreliable) other pieces of equipment.

I would never allow a data center to rise above 30C and the mechanism for this is simple: a thermostatically controlled circuit breaker. If it gets too warm, all power is instantly removed. You don't want to rely on email or some electronic notification, especially if there is no there to read the notice. Pulling the plug like that may have some consequences on data accuracy and filesystem consistency, but at least the equipment won't be damaged. A better way is to use environmental sensors that can force an orderly shutdown of the opsystems and subseqiuently power off the systems beyond a certain point.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jose Antonio Orozco
Frequent Advisor
Solution

All the good things in this world came in pairs
With the experience you had, is easy to justify the cost of extra A/Cs, it even could be not datacenter-class, instead an emergency "confort-class" AC could do the job in case the main AC goes down. Also, if you have emergency generator for your computers, your main/secondary AC should be also backed by that
The big problem isn't exactly in the high temperature, is the speed of change.
Some time ago i read that no more than 1??C is a secure change for an hour! And applies up and down
What is not backed up, it not exists
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

For PC motherboards, this feature was only recently added by some manufacturers and only on the top end boards. I can get the temp on my Soltek motherboard, for instance.

On the HP machines, I don't find any reference to this feature.

As others have said, in a server room, stick in some kind of temperature monitor to alert someone.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

Here's the easy way:
http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/product.asp?pf%5Fid=91471&sourceid=keywordraytek

Thats not the only one on the market, but its the one I use. It works pretty well.

Chris