HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1755619 Members
3881 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New install HP UX 1020 on an HPE 9000/800 server. Bad drives replaced. Install fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
dmurman
Advisor

Re: New install HP UX 1020 on an HP9000/800 server. Bad drives replaced. Install fails

I only have the one server with the HP UX 10.20 software.  There are a total of 6 with 2 down and 3 on HP UX 11.11. As for backups our IT department in the past either took images and now they are no where to be found or never did.  Since we moved to a new building 4 years ago IT has refused to service these servers and it has been left up to me to try and keep them running. I have had no prior expirenece with HP servers only using the one to run my test platform. 

Davdi Murman
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: New install HP UX 1020 on an HP9000/800 server. Bad drives replaced. Install fails

I'm quite sure you can take a backup onto a 11.11 server.

However, you may also consider to mount another disk in your running server and create a "backup" using "dd".

Then use this disk in your other server. You need to switch to the same SCSI ID once you mount it in the "new" server.

Take care, this will be an exact copy, so you need to adjust hostname, IP address, etc ... (use "set_parms").

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dmurman
Advisor

Thank you very much. I did not think of putting in a good drive and creating a "backup" using "dd". I will give that a try. I have console connection so will remove the ethernet cable until I change the addressing and hostname.

Davdi Murman
dmurman
Advisor

So if I run "dd if=fwscsi.6 of=fwscsi.3" it will copy from fwscsi.6 to fwscsi.3 and I can then use fwscsi.3 in the other server to boot from. Is there anything I am missing?

Davdi Murman
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I just saw some of this but not sure if you are trying to load the HP-UX 10.20 application SW S800 then trying to boot but you have to load the core 10.20 OS first then the SW applications. I didn't see that in any thread... in any case if you need a S800 10.20 iso of the OS, we can send it to you or give you a link for it. Just contact me and I'll load it up.

Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc
Re-sellers of HP 9000 / 3000 / Itanium hardware

dmurman
Advisor

No backups were ever done that I know of. Now I have a spare drive in fwscsi.3 if I do "dd if=fwscsi.6 of=fwscsi.3" will that make drive fwscsi.3 a copy of fwscsi.6 and make it bootable?

Davdi Murman
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Find some older threads like https://community.hpe.com/t5/System-Administration/HP-UX-Mirroring-Disk-Clone-a-HDD-into-another-HDD/td-p/5037136#.XWbSVNabGyU

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dmurman
Advisor

That would be most appreciated.  Right now I put a new disk (c0t3d0) in and running the dd command to copy from the main drive. 

dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0

Then going to place that drive in the other server and boot from fwscsi.3 (P3). 

If you can send me the link to the iso OS file would appreciate.

Davdi Murman
dmurman
Advisor

Jesse, if you can send me a link for the OS.  I see the company you are with is the company we got the drives.

Davdi Murman
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

was this to Truyen Le? - I'll get my guy to up load the 10.20 800 version and you can pull off the iso