3801 Online
108886 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAM invoke IOSCAN on start and grasp 100% of CPU

Ron Ayzenberg
Occasional Contributor

SAM invoke IOSCAN on start and grasp 100% of CPU

Hi.
When running SAM it's invoke ioscan and grasp 100% of CPU, that prevent normal work during this time (2-3 min).
Somebody know why this heppen.
The server rp2400 with HP-UX11.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: SAM invoke IOSCAN on start and grasp 100% of CPU

It depends on what kind of io cards you have installed and what kind of devices are attached to them. One thing is to check your scsi adapters and make sure they are terminated, otherwise ioscan will attempt to look for every possible device.

Another thing is patches. Make sure you are up-to-date on them!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

The problem with SAM is that will interrogate every piece of hardware know to man and aliens. As suggested by Harry you could check out your terminators and patches, but please remember that a full 'ioscan' can take a while, particularly if there are lots and lots of hardware.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Ron Ayzenberg
Occasional Contributor

Michael and Harry.
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I think SAM shouldn't check all hardware on startup (main window), isn't it?
Anyway I'll check again all patch set and termination.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It's a tough decision for SAM to make. Everyone that runs large servers complains about delays as SAM searches the system. ioscan can be run at warp or snail speed. Warp speed is the -k option, snail speed without -k (try it). The -k option says: trust the kernel, it knows about all the devices, and without -k, ioscan polls every bus, every I/O card and every possible device address.

So SAM could use ioscan -k but then it would miss devices added with power-on. (most devices are not power-on safe to add). I would keep SAM up to date on patches. Also, make sure you properly remove devices that are no longer attached, and drivers that are no longer needed. rm is not the correct command for device files, rmsf is the correct command.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin