1755466 Members
4359 Online
108833 Solutions
New Discussion

What servers have GSP or MP?

SUNAUS
Occasional Advisor

What servers have GSP or MP?

I just know that there is no GSP or MP on K class server. Which one can tell me what servers have GSP or MP?

Thanks

-------------------------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> HP 9000 - Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: What servers have GSP or MP?

The following have GSP/MP: A series (A400/500), all L's, N's, all rp's and rx's.

Any server that is fairly modern and requires a 64-bit OS should have GSP/MP.

I don't think any workstations have ever had GSP/MP (B/C/J classes).
SUNAUS
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer.
How about V class, T class, and so on?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

V-class does not have GSP nor MP, but it should have a diagnostic workstation (a small HP-UX 10.20 workstation with some special software installed in the /spp directory).

As far as I know, the diagnostic workstation cannot power on/off the V-class server, but it can issue a hardware reset (by command "do_reset") and access the V-class console. It has also diagnostic functions, some of which can do harm if misused: read the documentation before experimenting!

One diagnostic workstation can serve more than one V-class. The workstation is connected to the V-class with two cables: a serial cable for console access and a 10Mbit thin-ethernet for hardware diagnostics. Adding an extra LAN card to the diagnostic workstation allows it to be connected to the network and used as a kind of networked console for V-class. However, remember that it is a 10.20, years out of support: you should disable all network services you don't absolutely need.

I haven't had a chance to do anything with a powered T-class server, but docs.hp.com says it has a limited Service Processor, somewhat similar to the K-class. It has connectors for local console and for a modem (for remote console access, if enabled), but no network console functionality.

To have a networked console on a K-class or
a T-class, you need an external "device server" (aka "reverse terminal server") to convert the serial console connection into a LAN connection. We once used a few Moxa Nport 6xxx series products for something like that. There are other manufacturers of similar products too.

D-class (or R-class: similar hardware in a different box) servers do not have GSP nor MP. The A180 has an integrated "Secure Web Console" (not as good as GSP, but good if you don't have anything better); A400/A500 have full GSP.
MK