HPE EVA Storage
1760018 Members
2776 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1510i Interface question

Martin H3000

1510i Interface question

My company currently has a 1510i array, but it has the gigabit interfaces instead of fiber (yeah I know).

This thing I inherited, and I would like to find the spec's for replacing the gigabit with fiber.

Can anyone help me find some info on these babies? Or what would you recommend as the best way to adapt this thing to be able to use fiber?

Thank you in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA1510i has GigaBit LAN interfaces and talks iSCSI protocol on the front-end.

The MSA1500cs uses different controllers. Yes, it has a (physical) fiber(glass) connection, but it talks a completely different protocol on that cable: Fibre Channel. It WILL NOT WORK, if you connect it to the fiber port of a LAN switch!!

You will need to invest in at least one Fibre Channel Switch and one or two Fibre Channel adapters - a standard NIC will NOT work.

The MSA15xx line is end-of-life.

May I ask why you want to migrate to a fiber(glass) interface?
Martin H3000

My company bought this thing (I am a EMC guy actually) and the speed at which servers access data on this thing frankly sucks. Fiber at least won't be the bottleneck speed wise.

We will most likely end up using it for a backup repository. Frankly, I think this is a less than stellar unit for core SAN usage. My Director wants to know ideally what the spec's of the Fiber interface versus the existing gigabit interface are, to make a proposal to repurpose this box.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.