New Discussion юеВ

Re: Business Copy and Continuous Access licensing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Business Copy and Continuous Access licensing

Hi guys!

We are planning our datacenter grow in a future, and i have some questions about EVA SW licensing.
We have bought EVA 8100 4C8D, unlimited CV license, BC 1TB LTU, Continuous Access 1TB.
Total array capacity is 10TB, database that needed to snapshot/snapclone is about 500GB for now, but performance metrics showing that db will grow up to 2TB in 2011 year.

What i need to insure:

1. How does license work. If database capacity reach 1TB and will be something like 1,2TB - there will be an alert to buy more licenses or it will not work with a data more than 1TB? (it is about BC and CA)

2. 1TB license for BC means total snapshot/snapclone capacity?

Sorry for my terrible english.
Thanks a lot
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Alexis

It depends if you are using Command View EVA 7.0 or lower.

1) Before CV EVA 7.0 licensing was on trust base and not enforced. So no mesage at all!!

Starting with CV EVA7.0 licensing is enforced. If crossing the licensed capacity either licensed product (CV EVA, BC EVA or CA EVA) you will get a notification and you have 180 days to buy and install the required license.

2) BC EVA licensing is based on total of source Vdisk/LUN capacities.
If you have a 1TB license you can take as many snapshots/clones as you like from a total up to 1TB sources. (like 10 100GB Vdisks can be snapped or cloned as many times as you like)

For CA EVA you need a license per replicated array.
You need to license the sum of all CA EVA source and target Vdisks in a particular array.

Example:
EVA1 has 10 100GB Vdisks replicated to EVA2 and 5 300GB Vdisks are replicated from EVA2 to EVA1.
EVA1: 10*100GB + 5*300GB = 2.5TB
EVA2: 5*300GB + 10*100GB = 2.5TB

So both arrays would need a 3TB CA EVA license.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks a lot Peter!

I have another question.
Is there any posibility to buy 3TB BC licences?? I saw two types of license: 1TB and Ulimited.
Can i buy 3x1TB licenses and install it incrementally?

Thanks for help!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, the product quickspecs say:
""The licensed capacity per EVA must be equal to, or greater than the total raw capacity of each EVA. HP Command View EVA may be purchased in increments of a 1TB LTU, or an HP Command View Unlimited Capacity LTU may be purchased which will support up to the maximum raw storage capacity of the EVA.""

You can also upgrade later by 1 TB increments or to unlimited.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12239_div/12239_div.html
Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Uwe!

I saw this documents and found this just for CV. Does this rule apply to BC?
Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Currently i found this is Quickspecs.

"HP Business Copy for EVA offers a simple method of licensing. See the Ordering Information section for more details. There are simply five choices:

1. The first option is a HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA3000/4000/5000/6000/8000 series 1TB entry level license where up to 1TB of data can be replicated using HP Business Copy EVA software.
2. The second, and recommended, option is a HP StorageWorks Unlimited Capacity use per EVA3000/4000/5000/6000/8000 series license where the only limit to the amount of data that can be replicated is the total amount that the array hardware, controllers and disk drives can actually accommodate. Once purchased, you no longer have to purchase additional capacity licenses to accommodate new capacity growth.
3. The third option is the purchase of an upgrade from 1TB to Unlimited. The Upgrade License provides the same rights as Unlimited Capacity use per EVA license.
4. The forth option allows an upgrade path from an HP StorageWorks Unlimited Capacity per use license from a) EVA3000/4000 to EVA6000, b) EVA3000/4000 to EVA8000, or c) EVA5000/6000 to EVA8000 series
5. The fifth option is to activate the Oracle Integration capabilities in HP Replication Solutions Manager, part number T4390A must be ordered and the license key installed for each array supported in the Oracle application environment."

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11616_na/11616_na.html

This means that only one choice i have is to buy Unlimited capacity license even if i have 1,2TB of data and 1TB BC license. Am i right?
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Upgrading from 1TB BC to unlimited is the way to go since 2* 1TB BC licenses are more expensive than unlimted!

Little hint: If you install the Product Bulletin on a worksation (PC or laptop) you can check all Quickspecs and even see the prices.
Once you have downloaded and installed doubleclick on any HP partnumber then rightclick and select internet price!

To download go here: http://www.hp.com/go/productbulletin and select the download site

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks! I have already StorageWorks Sizing Tool, Product Bulletin and Sales Builder :)

Alexis Novik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all of you! Thread closed