1758374 Members
2666 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cost Effective heterogeneous SAN

Barry Otieno
Occasional Contributor

Cost Effective heterogeneous SAN

Am looking for a scalable SAN solution to accomodate my database and run web applications,which can store data from different OSs and also to be able to automatically backup data.
Does anybody have a Cost Effective solution to this.Please help.:-)
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Cost Effective heterogeneous SAN

hi,

scalable in what respect - the number of systems initially / anticipated to be using the san ? or the amount of data to be stored or performance or availability or all of the above ?
the hardware and software you might consider are very dependent on the level you start at and are aiming for as well as budget.
if you are able to give a bit more detail i'm sure there will be some useful suggestions.

Barry Otieno
Occasional Contributor

Yes,the availability of all options.So far our requirements are minimal.Our main issue is that we are having data in different os platforms(Windows,Linux Suse and Mac).Which we would like to have backup up in one storage.The data is mainly mail and txt documents.We also have a MSQl database running in our current server which is an ML 350.But the ML350 is only backing up data from the Windows machines.If you need any other clarification please let me know.Thanks
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

suggestions for consolidation solutions for small/medium size businesses for HP are here :-

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA2-2919ENW.pdf

HP's backup software is here :-

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/software/dprecovery/index.html?psn=storage

I would suggest you list up your requirements and contact your HP rep to assist , from your point of view for value for money i would also advise contacting some of the other vendors (IBM,EMC etc) to get a bit of healthy competition going to drive down the cost.
do visit the hp and others web sites and go through their storage offerings.
also check through google or whatever for enterprise backup solutions there is quite a wide choice there too.