2701 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fibre link down not causing a failover

andy steven
Valued Contributor

Fibre link down not causing a failover

Hi

have 2 controllers in a MSA 1500, when i pull the fibre conection out of the switch that goes to the active controller the link state goes down on the controller but the controller does not fail over.... is this correct.. i would expect a controller to failover if it no longer had a good fibre link??
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Andy:

According to HP, your multipath software is what actually initiates the failover process in the case of a fibre failure. Are you attempting this with active hosts on the MSA? or just in a testing phase?

You can manually initiate a failver by removing the active controller. HP also does not recommend doing this with active hosts, rather use Secure Path Manager to fail paths. In the case of MPIO, I am not sure how you would manually test since MPIO has no manager. Pulling the fibre though should be sufficent.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Additionally, I had this converstation with HP almost 2 years ago while installing/testing an MSA1000.

It should apply to the MSA1500 as well since, well... the controllers are the same.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

What does your topology look like.

Check the attached bmp.

andy steven
Valued Contributor

thanks Steven

with the MPIO driver installed the failover did occur... i just thought the controllers themselves would be able to iniciate a fallover.

the same test now is working, thanks