HPE EVA Storage
1758581 Members
1928 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE EVA 8100 Default Disk group failed because of unresolved disk group hardware issue

Redhwan

HPE EVA 8100 Default Disk group failed because of unresolved disk group hardware issue

We have EVA8100 working with HPUX server, before three days the server hang, and after restart the server it dosnt start up the volume group because of it can not see the physical disks from EVA, after checking the EVA there were two hard disk failure, replace the two disks but still the default volume group with the same issue, and most of Vdisks goes red alert and when press on them on the CV it says its failed becuase of the Default disk group has a hardware failure, I want to bring the vdisks up just to copy some data from them as the customer now have a new primera storage, Is there any options to recover the VDisks as we already replace the two failed disks.

8 REPLIES 8
angela683h
Occasional Visitor

Re: HPE EVA 8100 Default Disk group failed because of unresolved disk group hardware issue

@Redhwandollar tree compass wrote:

We have EVA8100 working with HPUX server, before three days the server hang, and after restart the server it dosnt start up the volume group because of it can not see the physical disks from EVA, after checking the EVA there were two hard disk failure, replace the two disks but still the default volume group with the same issue, and most of Vdisks goes red alert and when press on them on the CV it says its failed becuase of the Default disk group has a hardware failure, I want to bring the vdisks up just to copy some data from them as the customer now have a new primera storage, Is there any options to recover the VDisks as we already replace the two failed disks.

Hello, @Redhwan 

I can see your post and I give you some information to solve your query please see below and follow the information.

Dealing with a situation where an HP-UX server cannot see the physical disks from an EVA8100 after a server hang and disk failures can be complex. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially recover the VDisks:

Check FC Adapter Connection: Ensure that the Fibre Channel (FC) adapters on the HP-UX server are properly connected and configured. Use the fcmsutil command to verify the adapter status and connection to the EVA8100: https://community.hpe.com/t5/Disk-Enclosures/HP-UX-11-11-not-seeing-EVA3000-disks-over-replaced-FC-adapter/td-p/4410044

Verify EVA8100 Configuration: Make sure that the EVA8100 is correctly configured and that the new disks are recognized and properly integrated into the disk group. You may need to check the EVAтАЩs Command View for any configuration issues.
Disk Group Status: Investigate the status of the disk group in the EVA8100. If thereтАЩs a hardware failure indicated, itтАЩs crucial to resolve this before the VDisks can be recovered. This might involve checking for additional failed disks or hardware components.
Data Recovery Software: If the VDisks are in a failed state but the physical disks are intact, you might be able to use data recovery software that supports the EVA8100тАЩs file system to recover the data. This should be done with caution and ideally by professionals experienced with EVA systems.

Restore from Backup: If you have a recent backup of the data on the VDisks, restoring from backup may be the most straightforward solution to recover the data.
Data Migration: Since you mentioned the customer now has a new Primera storage, consider migrating the data from the EVA8100 to the new system. This would be the best course of action once the VDisks are accessible again or if you can recover the data through other means.

Remember, working with enterprise storage systems like the EVA8100 requires careful attention to detail and an understanding of the systemтАЩs architecture. If youтАЩre not experienced with these systems, itтАЩs best to proceed with the help of a professional to avoid further data loss.

I hope my suggestion is helpful for you. If you want more details please tell me.

Best Regard,
angela683h

Redhwan

Re: HPE EVA 8100 Default Disk group failed because of unresolved disk group hardware issue

@angela683h Actually the server still can discover some disks on the EVA storage because therr status on the EVA is good, But all the others Vdisks status As the following:"The Vdisk resides in a desk group with an unresolved hardware failure, you must click on the disk group in the navigation tree to resolve the hardware failure condition, before you can perform any further operations on the Vdisk"

the errot on the disk group: 

failed vdisk :
Virtual disk 1
Virtual disk 2

click the continue with no changes or start deletion process

All the important disks are on the list.

. From the HPUX side I checked everything is ok, the disks of good status on the EVA are listed, but the Vdisks with red alerts not listed.

I have checked also fiber connections, multipath, sfps, zonning ,..etc.

rmv978
HPE Pro

Its seems to be disk group failure due to multiple drives failure in the same RAID set.

A thorough analysis of log is required to suggest the next step.I would suggest involving support.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Redhwan

The Default Disk group has some three Vdisks working properly, if its failed, all the Vdisks must be failed, So that means its working .

rmv978
HPE Pro

So that means the Vidsks from the Non Default Disk Group should be failed.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Redhwan

@rmv978 Same Default group has three Vdisks working properly , and nearly 19 Vdisks Failed.

rmv978
HPE Pro

I would suggest engage support as the logs needs to be verified.

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

Redhwan

you are right, Ist a srtange situation, and I already opened a case with Support Team, and waiting for their Action plan, Just I was thinking if anyone face the same issue before.