1759494 Members
2677 Online
108883 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Merge IBM BladeCenter 2-port Fibre Channel with SAN switch 16E/L

Howard_24
Advisor

Merge IBM BladeCenter 2-port Fibre Channel with SAN switch 16E/L

I have been asked to merge an IBM BladeCenter with the 2-port Qlogic Fibre Channel card with an hp SAN switch 16 E/L. The 16 E/L has an EVA 3000 on it with hp C-class Blades. I know the E/L switches had some limitions, but has anyone done anything like this before with the IBM blades. There are two fabrics so I'll be able to do one at at time. I know about the domain ID's and they have been set.

Thanks, I just want to prepair myself before I do the work.

Howard
3 REPLIES 3
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Re: Merge IBM BladeCenter 2-port Fibre Channel with SAN switch 16E/L

Hi

I guess you should be able to do it, however if after connecting BladeCenter SAN switches to you fabrics, you'll end up with more than 2 switches per fabric, make sure that all SAN switches have FULL FABRIC license.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

And one more important thing: you should have no problems when all of your switches come from one vendor (Brocade, McData, Cisco, Qlogic). IIRC 16-EL is a Brocade (B-class) switch. Check what kind of switches you have in IBM BladeCenter and HP C-class chassis'. In case the come from different vendors, you should check their firmware release notes/documentation for interoperability information.
Howard_24
Advisor

The hp C class blades are using the brocade switches so merging these with the 16 E/L shouldn't be an issue. The IBM's are Qlogic's. These are the ones that I'm unsure of.

Thanks,

Howard