1758149 Members
2583 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2312sa connected to two MSA 2000's Question

CMSD Tech

MSA 2312sa connected to two MSA 2000's Question

Hello all,
Wondering if someone could help me out with an issue here.

- We have one MSA2312sa and two MSA 2000's with SAS connectivity.

- The MSA2312 (MSA#1) has dual Mini-SAS I/O modules and one of the MSA 2000's (MSA#2) has dual SAS I/O modules. The third MSA 2000 (MSA#3) has no IO modules installed and is turned off.

- There are Mini-SAS to SAS cables installed between each I/O module on MSA#1 to each I/O module on MSA#2

Question: Can we simply power down both MSA #1 and #2 and move one I/O module from MSA#2 to MSA#3 or do we have to order two more I/O modules for MSA#3 and install it in a daisy chain configuration to MSA#2?

I can attach a diagram if it helps to clarify the situation

Thanks in advance!
-Noel
2 REPLIES 2
CMSD Tech

Also, will making either of the above changes put any data on MSA#1 and MSA#2 at any risk?

Thanks
-Noel

Well Noel,

I think you what you need to ask yourself is, what are you really trying to do here?

If I were in your situation I would take all MSA2312sa and upgrade firmware to the most current version. I assume you have done this already?

Next I would simply power down both MSA and move them as you described, but with a word of caution. There could be ground fault problems if you disconnect them at an angle, so make sure you pull each cable out as straight as possible, but with a firm grasp. Kind of like rolling a condom onto a cucumber.

Good luck!