108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multi-Tier Storage Information?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Multi-Tier Storage Information?

Currently, we have EMA storage with HSG controllers, MSA1500, and EVA5000 with loopback switches and all. I would like to know where I can find some fundemental Multi-Tier storage or where should I start looking for this information?

Thank you in advance.

Jorge
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here you have excelent information that helped us to plan and deploy tiered storage:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid5_gci1113775,00.html
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Ivan - You're right, this is great info and the right place to start. By the way, what was your result on Tiered Storage decision?

Thank you.

Jorge
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The biggest challenge was to justify the acquisition. We presented the cost of data storage by MB to do that. How much will cost in grow our current storage and how much migrate to other, entry level storage.

We had only one tier storage, based on EVA5000 and EVA4000. As you know, FC disks are expensive. In our environment, EVA does not provides the availability we need (For example, firmware upgrades we have to do it offline by HP engineering recommendation, opposed to what HP sales/marketing says).

We ended with the following configuration:

HDS NSC55 for High End Tier - RAID 1 Only, replicated to another site, high performance, mission critical data. This storage virtualizes the other two tiers.

EVA 5K and EVA4K for Mid Range Tier - RAID 1 and RAID 5, replicated to another site, high performance, high value data.

HDS WMS100 for Entry Level Tier - RAID 6 with 500 GB SATA disks. High volume data, low performance, low access (historical data). Some data replicated to remote site via High End storage virtualization. Most capacity grow will be done in this storage.

If you find this information helpful, points are welcome.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Ivan - That's very informative. I would happy to assign points for you.

However, I am not sure on the acronym of the hardware you've mentioned. Are you referring to Hitachi Storage by any chance? Please feel free to e-mail (xmdms@yahoo.com)with any other info you think I can benefit and make my justification a lot easier.

Many thanks!!

Jorge
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Yes, please see hds.com.

HP, SUN and Hitachi offers the same "Hitachi" hardware. HDS NSC are HP XP and SUN StorageTek with changed logo.

HP did not won the bidding because of price.