2658 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replace FC 2/8V FC Switch

jhetrick
Advisor

Replace FC 2/8V FC Switch

Hi,

I have a FC switch that died and I need to replace it...can someone give me a breakdown of what I should watch for and or any issues I might have?

I have another switch that I am going to pull the config from and was wondering if this will take the switch I pull from offline at any point?

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Re: Replace FC 2/8V FC Switch

Hi,

The issue that you can face, if the config is pulled from another switch it is not going to work.

For example, when zoning is wwn based, the new switch is doing nothing as a WWN number is unique in the world.
If it is port based you need to be sure that you place the correct server on the correct port.

My advice; if it is a standalone switch, rebuild you config from scratch instaed of downloading it from another switch.

Dany
jhetrick
Advisor

Hi Danny,

This is not a stand alone switch, I have a total of 5 (lost one) with an A and B fabric.

My understanding is if I configure the switch the same and then disable the ISL port on the new switch and on the other switch I can then enable the ISL port on the other switch and then on the new switch and it should pull the config over...is this not correct?
jhetrick
Advisor

This is a follow up for anyone who has to replace a Brocade 200E switch. I have a EMC DS-200 and a HP 2/8V which are both Brocade 200e's. I have a total of 5 FC switches with 2 in fabric A and 2 in fabric b and one open.

I lost one of my switches in the B fabric and did not have the config. In order to pull the config off the remaining switch we made sure the domain, IP and switch name were all set the same as before. We then populated all ports except for the ISL port and then disabled the ISL port on the live switch. We connected the fibre and enabled the ISL port on the live switch then on the replacement switch...and it pulled the config over like a charm.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future!