1759942 Members
3162 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Silkworm 2800 and RA4000

springo2000
Advisor

Silkworm 2800 and RA4000

hello, i bought a used Silkworm 2800 ( HP mpn: A5624A ). I want to change my little SAN infrastructure with 2 Compaq Storageworks
sanswitchs 8-EL ( mpn: 1796219-B21 ) and 4 RA4000 enclosures to 2 silkworms 2800 and 4 RA4000.

At first: It is possible to change the Silkworm 2800 instead of the both Compaq Storageworks 8EL switches.

Next: Can i manage it with CIM or the newer HP Insight Manager and use securepath?

Next: It is possible to change the SAN from an arbitrated loop to a SAN Fabric with the silkworm 2800 and can i use the zoning of the switch ?

best regards

oli
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Compaq did sell the Silkworm 2800 as the "SAN switch 16", but it is possible that your model does not have the usual set of licenses (e.g. zoning) that were standard on the Compaq model.

The 2800 uses the same firmware as the SANswitch 8-EL. Whether you can change from FC_AL to full fabric mode depends on the license in the switch and the capabilities of the RA4000 and the fibre channel adapters.

Secure Path has no business with the switches you use. It checks the inquiry string from the storage array's LUNs.
springo2000
Advisor

hello,

at thirst many thanks . The Silkworm 2800 has a licence for zoning-( i found the number in the display ). The Storageworks switch 8EL- which i got here i don├В┬┤t know the license-key- it├В┬┤s used part as well.
When i got a licensekey, from where can i got the software. I found a fabric manager 4.4 with a 60 days try out. Can i use the HP-license key with this software ? It is recommanded or what are the favorite program├В┬┤s on SAN├В┬┤s ?

many thanks for all the r
Fabian_Nowee
Super Advisor

Hello Olivier,

The Brocade2800 should be verified if it's licensed to run full fabric, probably it is.
last step is to upgrade to FOS 2.6.2c

The 8-EL switches are Entry Level and are configured (eg Licensed) as a HUB (No fabric)

Zoning can also be used on a 2800, The 8-el "switch" is probably a 2250 or a 2400 Brocade (im not so familiar with hp numbers)
zoning is possible on all brocade switches.

The 2800 can run full fabric (switched) as wel all other older services. so you can use them both.

Looking for nice incentives? (www.kirsp.nl)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A Compaq SANswitch 8-EL was always sold with a fabric entry license. The different was that this license did only permit one E_Port, but an upgrade to multiple E_Ports was available. This switch can definitely do more than work as a hub!! I speak from experience.

The Brocade 2400, by the way, was sold as the Compaq SANswitch 8 (full fabric license), upgradeable to two power supplies.

Zoning is possible, yes, but it requires a license. Hey, I've heard about a case where a sale person sold a Brocade switch without any licenses at all - oops :-(