1755680 Members
5206 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gen11 - Enable PXE boot via Server Profile

aireynol
Valued Contributor

Gen11 - Enable PXE boot via Server Profile

I just received a batch of new Gen11 servers and the PXE boot option looks to be disabled by default as compared to the previous Gen10 servers. I am using Server Profiles to apply all other bios settings but have not been able to find the option to enable this in the Server Profile. Does anyone have any guidance?

image.png

11 REPLIES 11
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: Gen11 - Enable PXE boot via Server Profile

Hi @aireynol ,
    Following links may help you in configuration.
1) HPE ProLiant DL Server - How to Enable the PXE Boot Option in 366T add-on Network Adapter
2) UEFI Deployment for ProLiant Gen10 Servers and Synergy - Configuring a PXE Server for a UEFI-based Client in a Windows Environment 
Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

aireynol
Valued Contributor

No, that doesn't help. Those links discuss setting this manually, the whole point of settings bios setting via oneview server profile is to remove the manual configuration.

MV3
HPE Pro

Hello,

Are those servers Blade servers or DL servers?

Can PXE be enabled when the profile is unassigned?

Cheers....

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
aireynol
Valued Contributor

They are DL servers. PXE can be enabled manually whether the profile is assigned or not. But to enabled it as part of the profile doesn't seem possible because the option isn't showing in the bios section of the profile.

MV3
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please refer to the below link which helps in configuring the profile for PXE boot.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003167en_us&page=GUID-24894714-B928-4068-8B34-F1DA7F606A00.html

Cheers....

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
aireynol
Valued Contributor

That option sets pxe globally, the options in the screenshot set it on a per pcie device basis and seem to be arriving disabled by default. This pcie card specific option is not available in the server profile.

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Keep reading.  The next page(s) explain the connection-specific PXE settings

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003167en_us&page=GUID-D7147C7F-2016-0901-066E-000000002A0E.html

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
aireynol
Valued Contributor

I'm not seeing anything about PXE when it comes to managed connections, just vlan assignments.

DanCernese
HPE Pro

The link I posted was the next page:  "Server profile connections settings".  Here is the paragraph: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003167en_us&page=GUID-D7147C7F-2016-0901-066E-000000002A0E.html#boot

Boot

You can select a connection as a primary or secondary boot device. A template can contain bootable Ethernet, Fibre Channel, and iSCSI connections.

• Ethernet: Not bootable, PXE primaryPXE secondary, iSCSI primary, or iSCSI secondary.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo