2149 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P400 won't initialize after firmware update

yerbro
Occasional Visitor

P400 won't initialize after firmware update

Morning all,

Recently picked up an HP P400 raid card for use in a home server.

Installed it (left the battery off and didn't connect any drives) in order to update the firmware via the DVD.

Flashed it from 2.02 (I think) up to the latest which was 7.22, and now it won't initialize - it goes through the 4 stars, and then sits with a flashing cursor. This is on an abit IP35 pro in the second (x8 I think though it's a x16 size) PCI-E slot. Same deal whether there's drives and/or battery connected or not.

Just read http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Proliant-Storage-Systems/P411-with-v5-12-firmware-hangs-on-boot/td-p/5395453 and I'll try it in a different PC to see if it boots there, but was wondering if anyone knew:

a) why the redundant firmware isn't doing whatever it should

b) if there's any way to skip the initialize process, so I can actually get the machine to boot and reflash it?

Thanks in advance, cheers. Will update after playing tonight.

1 REPLY 1
yerbro
Occasional Visitor

Re: P400 won't initialize after firmware update

Developments.

Tried swapping the P400 into the x16 slot on the abit with the graphics in the x4 slot. Same story.

Tried the P400 in both the x4 and x16 slots with a PCI graphics card so it gets the PCI-E bus all to itself. Same story.

Fiddled in the abit BIOS and changed PCI-E compatibility from 1.0a to 1.0. Same story. Goes past the 4 spinning stars, then stays on a flashing cursor.

Tried the P400 in a different PC, this one a Gigabyte x68 chipset, and it boots.

So, starting to wonder if there's a problem with the 7.22 firmware and the P35 chipset. 15 minutes of googling hasn't found anything but I'm not giving up, will see if I can find owt. At least I now know I can flash an older firmware version if that turns out to be the solution, and if I can find one and figure out how to flash it... maybe add it to the iso?

/heads back to google.

Cheers folks.