New Discussion юеВ

Re: SimpliVity VCSA security patching considerations

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

SimpliVity VCSA security patching considerations

Hi

I would please like to check I have the correct interpreation of what patching is supported for VCSA's within a SimpliVity environment.

I have 2 x 7.0 U2d VCSAs running in enhanced link mode and need to upgrade these to the very latest 7.x version. This is currently 7.0 u3o on the VMware download portal.

My understanding is this is acceptable for me to do as SimpliVity is supported on 7.0U3n [as detailed in the latest interoperability guide] for my current simpliVity version and firmware level, plus I have the 'option' to apply unlisted patches [eg 7.0 U3o] so long as I don't update to an unlisted mayor or minor VCSA version. There is a clause that states I need to accept this latest patch hasn't yet been qualified by HPE

I'm referring the statement on page 43 of the InterOperability guide

So I'm just asking for confirmation that I have interpreted this statement correctly for my environment and that have vCenter in Enhagnced link mode doesn't impact my ability to update.

many thanks

8 REPLIES 8
l_lang
Advisor

Hi,

this is also my understanding. We are running 4.2 on 7 U3o without any problems.

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

That's great thanks - 

I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

NeetSat
HPE Pro

Hello,

Good day. 
You should be good to proceed with the vCSA patch as long as per what we have in the Interop guide mentioned. 
There should be no issues with that and also please make sure that you follow the best practices of what VMware follows before performing any upgrades on the vCSA. 
Also one last thing, please make sure that the OVC version is on 4.2 or atleast on supported versions before you proceed with the above upgrades. 

Regards,
Neet

Regards,
Neetesh

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

@NeetSat HI Neet

Thanks for the confirmation - the OVC version is currently 4.1.1 U1 which is showing as compatible within the Interoperability Guide.

There is a plan to upgrade to VMware 8.x (once this is supported by SimpliVity) so we want to refrain on any updates to the OVCs until that time.

kind regards

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

@NeetSat 

Please can you ellaborate on the recommendation to go to OVC 4.2? How strong a recommendation is that?

We're on 4.1.1 U1 currently with no plans to update the OVC version prior to adding this patch as it is still shoing with a 'C' entry in the Interoperability Guide - but as you hjave gone to the trouble of suggesting an update to 4.2 I didn't want to ignore that recommnendation with first asking the reason behind this. Are we safe to remain on 4.1.1U1 as per the guide?

kind regards

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

There is a new Customer Notice for this issue: 

Notice: HPE SimpliVity - VMware vCenter Server Appliance 7.0 U3o Now Supported on Active OmniStack Releases

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00135862en_us 

/Kipp

I work for HPE
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Thanks Kipp

Do you know what the published status will be for SimpliVity 4.1.1U1?

Will it be "C = Compatible Version but not explicitly verified" or are HPE saying customer must update to 4.1.2 or higher to protect themselves against this vulnerability?

thanks

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro
Solution

There will be an updated Interop Guide posted at the end of this week.   It will show the OmniStack version 4.1.1U1 as 

• C = Compatible Version but not explicitly verified

with VCSA 7.0 U3o

I work for HPE