1755752 Members
5024 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to register an MSR 30-40 with a SIP trunk provider

greenturtle99
Occasional Contributor

Unable to register an MSR 30-40 with a SIP trunk provider

There does not seem to be a good forum to talk about MSR converged communication so I am cross posting here and on the routers forum.  If the board monitor would like to set up a forum that would be nice.

I have been unable to get an MSR30-40 to register with a SIP Trunk provider (or find a small/medium business SIP Trunk provider that supports HP).  I managed to "fake" a registration by registering a trunk with an Asterisk PBX behind the router then shifting the NATed port to the MSR30 Sip Trunk.  I don't have the setup to put a sniffer on a mirrored interface yet but I have watched the Asterisk SIP trunk exchanges with a sniffer to learn how the protocol is working with my existing provider. This is the beginning of the process.  There is close to zero on the Web about this subject.

My current provider requires:

- SIP 2.0
- RTP over UDP
- DIGEST MD5 authentication
- Fixed Outbound Proxy
- DNS SRV
- G.711 and/or G.729

Unfortunately, the router's specification leave a little bit out particularly about support for authentication.

Does anyone have experience on setting up SIP trunks with MSR series routers to small/medium business ISTPs.  I can switch my ISTP easily if I can find one that works with HP MSR series routers.

Thanks for any advice.  I am working this from a lot of angles to partition the debugging space.

1 REPLY 1
greenturtle99
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to register an MSR 30-40 with a SIP trunk provider

In my case the solution was to ensure that the local "sip-server" must not set to be a registrar when setting up the sip-trunk.  Only the server-group (which is technically at the ISTP) should be a registrar and have register enabled for the sip-trunk account.  Registering users (phones) for local survivability seems to be OK.  It remains to be tested to see if I can use a local "sip-server" as a registrar for other devices (UAs) like a local IP-PBX.  I currently have a very simple, single in-house router configuration that I control.