MSA Storage
1758015 Members
2124 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion

Can I extend existing pool and volume using MSA2060?

FedericoCoppola
Occasional Advisor

Can I extend existing pool and volume using MSA2060?

Hello folks,
We are going to create an Hyper-V cluster to handle our workload. 
We are planning to install two HPE Gen11 servers and shared storage via SAS connections..

I looked for a MSA storage and I noticed MSA2060.

The main doubt is as follows:
Will it be possible to expand the existing disk pool in the future?
For example I have 4 HDDs in RAID 5, can I add disks and expand the existing pool?
Do I have to use RAID 6 to do this?

Should I use other MSA model to achive this goal?

Thanks for your help

Federico Coppola
3 REPLIES 3
shuff
Frequent Advisor

Re: Can I extend existing pool and volume using MSA2060?

Yes, it is possible to expand the existing disk pool in the MSA2060 by adding disks to a RAID 5 configuration. The MSA2060 allows for the addition of disk groups to expand storage pools, and this can be done using various RAID configurations including RAID 5. You do not necessarily need to use RAID 6 unless you require its additional level of fault tolerance, which allows for two simultaneous drive failures without data loss. As for other MSA models, the MSA 1060 and MSA 2050 also support similar features for expanding disk pools with flexible RAID configurations

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Federico,

In MSA 2060 , pool is an aggregation of disk groups.

You can add a new disk group in the same pool to add more space to the Pool.

Of course, you will lose drives for parity every time you create a new RAID 5 or RAID 6 disk group.

MSA 2060 supports DP+ disk group which requires a minimum of 12 disks.

MSA DP+ disk groups offers the advantage of expanding existing disk group by adding more disks to it.

RAID 5 and RAID 6 disk groups cannot be expanded by adding disks to it.  You may refer to the system concepts listed in MSA 2060 storage management guide (Pages 18-22) for more information: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00128580en_us&docLocale=en_US

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi , We wanted to follow up and check if the information shared addressed the query. Request you to please respond with a Yes/No. You may also click on "Accept as a solution" button if the issue is resolved.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo