MSA Storage
1754393 Members
2899 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

For volumes using for VMware datastore, which usage type would be a better choice?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gyokai
Advisor

For volumes using for VMware datastore, which usage type would be a better choice?

Hi,

I am currently grappling with the decision of selecting the 'usage type' field for volumes on MSA 2062 storage (Firmware: IN210R004) within the virtualization infrastructure of a particular project.

Here's some extra info:

HypervisorServer: HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10
Storage: HPE MSA 2062 (Firmware: IN210R004)
Virtualize Environment: VMware vSphere 8.0(ESXi 8.0 U2 Build 22380479 + VMware vCenter Server 8.0 Update 2a)

According to the release notes, this field offers options such as 'Database', 'Virtualization', 'Email', 'File ', and 'Other'. However, I am unsure about the appropriate selection when the volume serves as the datastore for a VM in a VMware virtualization environment (formatted with VMFS). Should I choose 'Virtualization' based on the nature of the datastore as a disk file container for VMs, or should I base the selection on the actual usage of the datastore (e.g., choosing 'Virtualization' for the OS, 'Database' for Oracle Database, and 'File Server' for log files)?

Additionally, all my volumes are expected to reside within the same Disk Group, comprised of over 50 10K RPM disks, in MSA-DP+ configuration, within Pool A. There are no other Disk Groups on this array. Given these circumstances, I am uncertain about the potential impact of different selections in this field on actual performance.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights?

3 REPLIES 3
JonPaul
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: For volumes using for VMware datastore, which usage type would be a better choice?

@Gyokai 
As all the volumes will be presented to the VMware ESXi host, you should set them to "Virtualization"  the usage of the datastores on the ESXi host are not needed.

I work for HPE
Gyokai
Advisor

Re: For volumes using for VMware datastore, which usage type would be a better choice?

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your quick response! Your insights are much appreciated and will definitely help me make an informed decision. Thanks again for your assistance!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Gyokai,

That's Awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo