2944 Online
108869 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2042 Expand Disk-Group with only one HD

UrsBreu
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2042 Expand Disk-Group with only one HD

Hello

I would like to expand a Disk Group online with an additional HD. Unfortunately I do not have more HD available.

# show vdisks
Name Size Free Own Pref RAID Class Disks Spr Chk Status Jobs Job% Serial Number Spin Down SD Delay Sec Fmt Health Reason Action
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dgA01 8990.5GB 4616.3GB A A RAID6 Virtual 7 0 64k FTOL VRSC 1% xxxxx Disabled 0 512e OK
rcA1 797.1GB 1379.9MB A A RAID0 Virtual 2 0 512k UP xxxxx Disabled 0 512e OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success: Command completed successfully.

# expand disk-group dgA01 disks 1.3
Depending on several factors, vdisk expansion can take a significant amount of time to complete. The size of the physical disks in the original vdisk, the amount of capacity being added, and the level of I/O activity during expansion will influence the time of completion.
It is strongly recommended to review the Best Practices white paper before starting a vdisk expansion. See the online help to access this white paper.
Are you ready to continue? (y/n) y

Unfortunately I always get the following error message

Error: The pool requested is of the wrong storage class.

Can someone please help me ?

Best regards

Urs Breu

2 REPLIES 2
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2042 Expand Disk-Group with only one HD

Hi,

MSA 2042 supports both linear vdisk and virtual Pools.

Disk groups created under Virtual Pool does not support disk group expansion where as linear vdisk could be expanded.

As per the command output shared the disk groups has been configured as part of virtual pool.

You can add only a new disk group to the Pool which requires a minimum of 2 hard drives.

Please refer to the System concepts topic in SMU guide for more information:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04220794

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2042 Expand Disk-Group with only one HD

Hi,

Please let us know whether the information shared addresses your query.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo